Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Help with Word 2007[_2_] Help with Word 2007[_2_] is offline

Default Putting Mail Merge fields into excel tables in Word

Am still trying to fix my problem and going down this path now but even this
doesnt seem to work. Can anyone help? I am trying to put a mail merge field
into an excel table in a word document?

Fundamentally I am still just trying to format numbers from 1057 to $10.57
in the table so if there are other methods please let me know.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

No, you can't put a mergefield into an Excel worksheet embedded in a Word document. In any event, it's quite unnecessary - all you
need to do is to apply the appropriate formatting switch to the mergefield. To do this:
.. select the field;
.. press Shift-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyData};
.. edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD MyData \# $,0.00} (or whatever other numeric format you prefer - see below);
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

Note: The '\# $,0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
.. \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
.. \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
.. \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
.. \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
.. \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);'-'" for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values

The precision of the displayed value is controlled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.

If you use a final ';' in the formatting switch with nothing following, (eg \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);") zero values will be suppressed.
Note that this suppresses 0s resulting from empty fields and from fields containing 0s.

NOTE: It helps if you give your questions a context. Your previous post gave no indication you were trying to perform a mailmerge,
for which field formatting switches (fully documented in Word's Help file) provide a ready answer.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Help with Word 2007" wrote in message
Am still trying to fix my problem and going down this path now but even this
doesnt seem to work. Can anyone help? I am trying to put a mail merge field
into an excel table in a word document?

Fundamentally I am still just trying to format numbers from 1057 to $10.57
in the table so if there are other methods please let me know.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Help with Word 2007[_2_] Help with Word 2007[_2_] is offline

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. It worked well.

.