Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shannan Shannan is offline

Default Mail Merge: Column titles

I'm trying to create a mail merge document in Microsoft Word that takes the
information from an existing Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. I've never done
mail merge before, so i am very unfamiliar with it. When i follow the
instructions, i get to a point where i have to browse for recepients using an
existing list. Once i click on the excel document i want, a window comes up
that says select table. That's fine. But in this window it has a box to check
off "first row of data contains column headers", and my column titles are in
the SECOND row. The first row has titles such as "demographics",
"scheduling", "results"...etc. but the second row has the individual titles i
need like "first name" and "last name". Is there any way to tell it to use
the second row for the column titles? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you can, before you do the merge, select the rows and columns you
need in the Excel Spreadsheet(probably everything except row 1) and
create a range name that covers that area. Then, when you set up the
connection from Word, you should see that range name listed in the
"Tables" dialog box.

Unfortunately you will probably need to do this each time you merge as
the range will probably not extend/contract automatically as you
add/remove rows and columns.

(In Excel 2007, try the Formulas tab, Define Name. In Excel 2003 and
earlier try Insert-Name-Define)

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 25/11/2009 22:34, Shannan wrote:
I'm trying to create a mail merge document in Microsoft Word that takes the
information from an existing Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. I've never done
mail merge before, so i am very unfamiliar with it. When i follow the
instructions, i get to a point where i have to browse for recepients using an
existing list. Once i click on the excel document i want, a window comes up
that says select table. That's fine. But in this window it has a box to check
off "first row of data contains column headers", and my column titles are in
the SECOND row. The first row has titles such as "demographics",
"scheduling", "results"...etc. but the second row has the individual titles i
need like "first name" and "last name". Is there any way to tell it to use
the second row for the column titles? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shannan Shannan is offline

Never mind! I highlighted everything but the first row, named it Mail_Merge
and then just selected this as my "table". Thanks anyways!