Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jimbeem16 jimbeem16 is offline

Default Mail Merge add-in from Graham Mayor's site

I posted a question about using mail merge to save to multiple docs but can't
find the previous conversation. I found it on egghead cafe and am reposting
it to remind you of it and have added my response and follow up question at
the end.

Me:
"I recently read a post about someone with the same problem...I am trying to
save my (mail) merged docs to multiple files so that they are not all in one
file. I followed the instructions and the link given by Doug Robbins to a
site by (I believe) Graham Mayor that lists step by step instructions for a
Macro that is supposed to do exactly that. I am kosher up until the part that
says to merge and you have the option to select 'all', 'current', or
'selected pages'...after this the instructions say the macro should kick in
and another box should pop up asking to 'split to separate files' and this
does not happen. Please help. I do not know how to troubleshoot this sort of
thing or where to go from here. Below is the link to the previously mentioned
site.

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm"

Doug:
"Have you read all of the introductory information on Graham's website,
particulaly Note 2.

Where do you have the template installed?

What is your operating system and what version of Office are you using?"

Me:
Yes, I have read the information. Since your response I have since reread Note
2 and closed Outlook before opening Word and opened Word from the start menu.
I have the Macro I downloaded saved to the desktop and have to open it
separately. Is this part of the problem? And if so how do I fix that?

By template do you mean the macro or the template I am trying to split? The
template/doc I am trying to merge and save to separate files is on our company
server.

I am using Xp and Office 2003.

My boss has since given me a mandate to have this figured out by Dec 8th.
Thank you for your quick response. Please help again.

Doug:
The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word Startup
folder, which for your system will be located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

Graham:
Which is in big letters in the first note at the start of the web page, with
instructions, in even more prominent text, how to locate that folder.

And my most recent response/question:
Okay, I deleted everything I did previously and reread the instructions and
started over. I apologize but the majority of this is over my head so I thank
you for your patience ahead of time. I extracted the zip file to the STARTUP
folder just as you stated before.

Just to be clear, by doing this does this mean that now the macro should
start everytime Word starts? Because I opened word from the start menu and
the toolbar is not there.

So I opened the template from the STARTUP folder AFTER opening Word from the
start menu and proceeded. Same problem as at the beginning. I add the
recipients to my document, hit "split the Merge" and get the 'All, current,
selected' box. Selected All...and another window opens with the new document
but I still don't get the box asking about separating to different files.
What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think this all boils down to your final paragraph. Nowhere on my web site
does it say that you must 'open' the template. It is an add-in!

If the correct template is correctly installed as described when you open
Word, you will have a toolbar related to the add-in, prominently displayed
and the add-in will be listed and checked in tools templates and add-ins.
If that does not apply you have not installed it. Re-read the instructions.

If it is installed correctly then when you merge a *letter* merge document
to a new document, and select all the records, then provided your data
source does not have any breaks between header and data, the macro will run
as described on the web page.