Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AndreVB AndreVB is offline

Default Mail merge has reached its data source limit?

In creating a large mail merge (data source has approx 700 columns) it
appears that it has reached it's limit - I cannot select the applicable
columns after 600 odd from the insert merge field list.

Apart from splitting the document into multiple files with multiple data
sources is there any other solution?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You could create a "roll-your-own" equivalent to mail merge that used
docvariable fields in place of merge fields and made use of VBA code to
iterate through the datasource, setting the values of document variables to
the values in each field of the current record and saved the document before
moving on to the next record and doing the same thing.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"AndreVB" wrote in message
In creating a large mail merge (data source has approx 700 columns) it
appears that it has reached it's limit - I cannot select the applicable
columns after 600 odd from the insert merge field list.

Apart from splitting the document into multiple files with multiple data
sources is there any other solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes, there are problems in this area.

However, as long as Word is actually reading the data source correctly,
you should be able to insert the merge fields "manually" as long as you
know their names (i.e. instead of picking them from a list). For
example, if the name is "my field",
a. use ctrl-F9 to insert a pair of the special field code braces { }
b. type MERGEFIELD "my field"
so you end up with

{ MERGEFIELD "my field" }

You only need the double-quotes for names that have, e.g., spaces in
them. If it's "myfield" you only need

{ MERGEFIELD myfield }

Otherwise,

a.
Apart from splitting the document into multiple files with multiple
data sources

Would that actually allow you to do what you need (in many cases, it
would not solve the problem)
b. what is the data source?
c. what are you trying to create from it?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk