Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Default Fine tune the "nudge" facility.

I have labels on an A4 sheet, and because we have a new
printer it is necessary to fine tune the position of these.

It is hard to use the mouse for fine tuning and I wonder if
there is a 'nudge' using just the keyboard for very fine
tuning.

(I already know about suppressing the "snap to" by pressing
down the 'alt' key.)

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That should not be necessary. The defined labels should work with any
printer: if they don't, then either you have change normal.dot or the
printer driver is incompatible. To test if it is a normal.dot or
incompatible add-in rather than the printer, start Word in Safe Mode and
test print a sheet of labels.

From Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press Enter. Word will start in Safe Mode bypassing all customisations
and add-ins. Open a sheet of labels and print now. If they are still
misaligned, then you have a bad printer or printer driver.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I have labels on an A4 sheet, and because we have a new printer it is
necessary to fine tune the position of these.

It is hard to use the mouse for fine tuning and I wonder if there is a
'nudge' using just the keyboard for very fine tuning.

(I already know about suppressing the "snap to" by pressing down the 'alt'
key.)

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Thanks, I downloaded the latest driver (Jan 10) and this
help a bit. However the problem no is that there is
displacement of the labels down the page, that is there is
too great a margin at the top of the page and this cannot be
varied with any printer settings.

Has Word2003 any way of adjusting this, which would mean
compensating for the printer's inability to grab the paper
at the very top edge?

Frank

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
That should not be necessary. The defined labels should
work with any printer: if they don't, then either you have
change normal.dot or the printer driver is incompatible.
To test if it is a normal.dot or incompatible add-in
rather than the printer, start Word in Safe Mode and test
print a sheet of labels.

From Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press Enter. Word will start in Safe Mode bypassing
all customisations and add-ins. Open a sheet of labels and
print now. If they are still misaligned, then you have a
bad printer or printer driver.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I have labels on an A4 sheet, and because we have a new
printer it is necessary to fine tune the position of
these.

It is hard to use the mouse for fine tuning and I wonder
if there is a 'nudge' using just the keyboard for very
fine tuning.

(I already know about suppressing the "snap to" by
pressing down the 'alt' key.)

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

It made no difference.

I have compensated in the horizontal direction by using the
Format/Paragraph/Indents&Spacing/Indents, and when I select
the whole table (8 labels) they move en masse to the left by
the selected amount.

Is there something similar for the vertical?

It looks like I have to redo all the labels for a printer
and keep them in a folder for that printer.

Regards, Frank

[...]

From Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press Enter. Word will start in Safe Mode bypassing
all customisations and add-ins. Open a sheet of labels
and print now. If they are still misaligned, then you
have a bad printer or printer driver.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I have labels on an A4 sheet, and because we have a new
printer it is necessary to fine tune the position of
these.

It is hard to use the mouse for fine tuning and I
wonder if there is a 'nudge' using just the keyboard
for very fine tuning.

(I already know about suppressing the "snap to" by
pressing down the 'alt' key.)

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

I tried this but all it does is move the table contents
down, whereas I want them up. Putting a negative number
into the field does not work.

Frank

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can use Spacing Before.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

From Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press Enter. Word will start in Safe Mode
bypassing all customisations and add-ins. Open a sheet
of labels and print now. If they are still misaligned,
then you have a bad printer or printer driver.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I have labels on an A4 sheet, and because we have a
new printer it is necessary to fine tune the position
of these.

It is hard to use the mouse for fine tuning and I
wonder if there is a 'nudge' using just the keyboard
for very fine tuning.

(I already know about suppressing the "snap to" by
pressing down the 'alt' key.)

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You are not selecting the table but its contents. Turn on the ShowAll
command so that you can see the paragraph marks. Look for the paragraph mark
at the end of the table: that is the important mark because that is the
table properties. Now select the Table including the paragraph mark. Then
nudge.

But this is all wrong. The labels created from the labels wizard should
print correctly. You are letting the tail wag the dog - the tail being the
printer.

--
[...]

From Start | Run (Winkey+R), type in