Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
NancyC NancyC is offline

Default Merge Field varies in length

I have a merge field that can vary in length from one to four lines long.
No matter how long the merge field is I need two blank lines, no more or no
less, after the merge field before the salutation.

Someone suggested using a one-cell table with a fixed row height, but I am
not sure how to do this. Any other suggestions or instructions on how to
accomplish this?

Example letter:

To: «DefendantName» (can be one to four lines long)
**need blank row here
**need blank row here
Dear .........
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Format the paragraph that commences with Dear so that it has the desired
space before it.

The Enter key should NOT be used to create "blank lines"

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"nancyc" wrote in message
I have a merge field that can vary in length from one to four lines long.
No matter how long the merge field is I need two blank lines, no more or
no
less, after the merge field before the salutation.

Someone suggested using a one-cell table with a fixed row height, but I am
not sure how to do this. Any other suggestions or instructions on how to
accomplish this?

Example letter:

To: «DefendantName» (can be one to four lines long)
**need blank row here
**need blank row here
Dear .........
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
NancyC NancyC is offline

How do I create blank lines? What if the blank lines aren't needed then will
there still be blank lines?

"nancyc" wrote:

I have a merge field that can vary in length from one to four lines long.
No matter how long the merge field is I need two blank lines, no more or no
less, after the merge field before the salutation.

Someone suggested using a one-cell table with a fixed row height, but I am
not sure how to do this. Any other suggestions or instructions on how to
accomplish this?

Example letter:

To: «DefendantName» (can be one to four lines long)
**need blank row here
**need blank row here
Dear .........
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text
Boilerplate Text

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

How do I create blank lines?

Put the insertion point to the left of the word "Dear" and press the
Enter key twice.

But Doug is recommending that instead of doing that, you change the
format of the Paragraph that contains the word Dear, e.g. in Word 2003,
use Format-Paragraph-Spacing Before to do it (I think! - you can enter
a number of lines using "2li"). In Word 2007, go to the Home tab, and
click on the arrow at the bottom right hand corner of the Paragraph
group, then use Indents and Spacing-Spacing before to do the same thing.

What if the blank lines aren't needed then will
there still be blank lines?

Those two blank lines will always be there. I believe that all the
people who have tried to answer your question probably think that that
is what you are trying to achieve.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"nancyc" wrote:

I have a merge field that can vary in length from one to four lines long.
No matter how long the merge field is I need two blank lines, no more or no
less, after the merge field before the salutation.

Someone suggested using a one-cell table with a fixed row height, but I am
not sure how to do this. Any other suggestions or instructions on how to
accomplish this?

Example letter:

To: «DefendantName» (can be one to four lines long)
**need blank row here