Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Saga[_2_] Saga[_2_] is offline

Default Odd text cursor

Hello all. Sometime Ihave the need to include special characters,
such a vowel with an accent. I do this by pressing Alt key and
typing in ASCII using the numeric keypad. The problem is that
sometimes I miss a key or a number and the special character
does not display, but the vertical bar cursor changes in that
a small triangula flag pointing left appears at the top of the text
cursor. I have tried to duplicate this behavior unsuccessfully.
Does anyone know what this text cursor indicates and why the
flow and control of text behaves in a different way?

By "different way" I mean that I place the text cursor at a
specific location and when I start typing, the text appears else
where, or when I try to move the text cursor using the arrow keys
the cursor moves to an unexpected location. Thanks. Saga

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Saga[_2_] Saga[_2_] is offline

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps I did. How is text direction changed
using Word XP (2002)? I tried to duplicate this behavior and was
unable to. Searching got lots of results on how to change text orientation
which is something different. Thanks again, Saga

"Saga" wrote in message
Hello all. Sometime Ihave the need to include special characters,
such a vowel with an accent. I do this by pressing Alt key and
typing in ASCII using the numeric keypad. The problem is that
sometimes I miss a key or a number and the special character
does not display, but the vertical bar cursor changes in that
a small triangula flag pointing left appears at the top of the text
cursor. I have tried to duplicate this behavior unsuccessfully.
Does anyone know what this text cursor indicates and why the
flow and control of text behaves in a different way?

By "different way" I mean that I place the text cursor at a
specific location and when I start typing, the text appears else
where, or when I try to move the text cursor using the arrow keys
the cursor moves to an unexpected location. Thanks. Saga

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In order to be able to do this, I think you have to have a right-to-left
language enabled. That's about as much as I know; maybe someone more
knowledgeable will chime in here. If not, post your question in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement, and Peter T. Daniels will be able to
help.

http://word.mvps.org

"Saga" wrote in message
Hello all. Sometime Ihave the need to include special characters,
such a vowel with an accent. I do this by pressing Alt key and
typing in ASCII using the numeric keypad. The problem is that
sometimes I miss a key or a number and the special character
does not display, but the vertical bar cursor changes in that
a small triangula flag pointing left appears at the top of the text
cursor. I have tried to duplicate this behavior unsuccessfully.
Does anyone know what this text cursor indicates and why the
flow and control of text behaves in a different way?

By "different way" I mean that I place the text cursor at a
specific location and when I start typing, the text appears else
where, or when I try to move the text cursor using the arrow keys
the cursor moves to an unexpected location. Thanks. Saga

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Saga[_2_] Saga[_2_] is offline

Thanks again Suzanne! That is odd, AFAIK, I do not have any
right to left languages installed and yet I get this text cursor when I
miss the mark when inserting special characters using the Alt-XXX
method.

I will follow your recommendation and post in the ng that you mention.
Regards, Saga