Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Wordperfect Justification and Line Breaks

The WordPerfect line justification setting gets rid of Word's dreadful
spacing with justification.

However, I am finding many cases where Word incorrectly breaks lines
with this setting enabled. For example, I am frequently finding lines
that being with commas.

Is there any way to correct this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I just don't understand what you have said about breaking: "For example, I
am frequently finding lines that being with commas." What does that mean?

FWIW, I use WP Justification all the time and never have any problem with
it, not have I heard any other users with problems with it either.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
The WordPerfect line justification setting gets rid of Word's dreadful
spacing with justification.

However, I am finding many cases where Word incorrectly breaks lines
with this setting enabled. For example, I am frequently finding lines
that being with commas.

Is there any way to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

FWIW, I use WP Justification all the time and never have any problem with it, not have I heard any other users with problems with
it either.

Ditto.

I suspect the lines starting with commas have spaces preceding the commas on the previous line. If so, this has nothing to do with
WP justification and is just as likely to occur without it.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote in message ...
The WordPerfect line justification setting gets rid of Word's dreadful
spacing with justification.

However, I am finding many cases where Word incorrectly breaks lines
with this setting enabled. For example, I am frequently finding lines
that being with commas.

Is there any way to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Ah! It should be 'beginning' and not 'being'.

As Macropod says, there must be spaces before the commas for them to break
that way. If you must have spaces before the commas (a most unusual
requirement), using non-breaking spaces before the commas may resolve your
problem.

Terry

wrote in message
The WordPerfect line justification setting gets rid of Word's dreadful
spacing with justification.

However, I am finding many cases where Word incorrectly breaks lines
with this setting enabled. For example, I am frequently finding lines
that being with commas.

Is there any way to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Oops!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No, "being" was a typo for "begin."

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
The WordPerfect line justification setting gets rid of Word's dreadful
spacing with justification.

However, I am finding many cases where Word incorrectly breaks lines
with this setting enabled. For example, I am frequently finding lines
that being with commas.

Is there any way to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

or "that being" should have been "beginning"

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

wrote in message
The WordPerfect line justification setting gets rid of Word's
dreadful
spacing with justification.

However, I am finding many cases where Word incorrectly breaks lines
with this setting enabled. For example, I am frequently finding lines
that being with commas.

Is there any way to correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Clarifications:

1. Word is formatting the text (sometimes) with line breaks
immediately before commas. Word makes the comma the first character in
the line.
2. There are no spaces (or any kind of white space) before the
commas.
3. If I disable the WP spacing option, Word DOES NOT put the commas at
the start of the line. Users encountering this get the choice of
Word's default justification (Yuck) or starting lines with commas.
4. It does not happen all the time. (Annoying infrequency).
5. Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Exactly what settings have you invoked in Word 2007? Where do you set the
WP spacing option?

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

wrote in message
Clarifications:

1. Word is formatting the text (sometimes) with line breaks
immediately before commas. Word makes the comma the first character in
the line.
2. There are no spaces (or any kind of white space) before the
commas.
3. If I disable the WP spacing option, Word DOES NOT put the commas at
the start of the line. Users encountering this get the choice of
Word's default justification (Yuck) or starting lines with commas.
4. It does not happen all the time. (Annoying infrequency).
5. Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Doug,

Under 'Word Options|AdvancedCompatibility Options ForLayout Options', there's an option to justify text the way WordPerfect 6
does. Essentially, this allows the space between words to be reduced a bit and can result in a more compact document. With that
option set, I can get a comma to start a new line by inserting a:
1. line/paragraph break;
2. standard space or hyphen; or
3. too many characters without spaces/hyphens to fit on the line,
before it, just as you can without it. There may be other ways (eg involving non-keyboard characters or the positioning of shapes),
but none of them represents something that happens in the ordinary course of creating a conventional document. And aside from the
foregoing, it's not something I've ever seen with this setting (which I've used as my default for years - possibly for over a
decade).

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote in message ...
Clarifications:

1. Word is formatting the text (sometimes) with line breaks
immediately before commas. Word makes the comma the first character in
the line.
2. There are no spaces (or any kind of white space) before the
commas.
3. If I disable the WP spacing option, Word DOES NOT put the commas at
the start of the line. Users encountering this get the choice of
Word's default justification (Yuck) or starting lines with commas.
4. It does not happen all the time. (Annoying infrequency).
5. Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

From your symptoms, I would guess that this is a printer driver or graphics
driver issue. I have never seen this reported before and there must be a
HUGE number of users using WP Justification. Are you able to make a sample
document available for us to examine?

Terry