Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Virtual Printer that Works Well With Word

I am looking for software that will print a word document to a TIF
file--allow you to specify the resolution of the output?

I would think there would be freeware, open source, commercial to do
this.

Anyone know of something that works well?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

I suggest searching the web for a printer driver that will do what you want.

Here is an example:
http://www.print-driver.com/howto/co...d_to_tiff.html

I don't know anything about this application, myself. I'm merely providing
an example of what I found when typed this into Google's search box:

print microsoft word document to tiff

Daddy

wrote in message
I am looking for software that will print a word document to a TIF
file--allow you to specify the resolution of the output?

I would think there would be freeware, open source, commercial to do
this.

Anyone know of something that works well?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Haven't tested it, but there should be one in the latest Windows DDK
according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd434895.aspx. Note
that this sample was not available with the Vista DDK, at least I couldn't
find it on my machine, but should run on Vista SP2.

Yves

wrote in message
I am looking for software that will print a word document to a TIF
file--allow you to specify the resolution of the output?

I would think there would be freeware, open source, commercial to do
this.

Anyone know of something that works well?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:18:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I am looking for software that will print a word document to a TIF
file--allow you to specify the resolution of the output?

I would think there would be freeware, open source, commercial to do
this.

Anyone know of something that works well?

SnagIt from http://www.techsmith.com includes a printer driver that
can print to TIF. Through the printer properties advanced dialog,
you can choose resolutions of 100x100, 200x200, 300x300, or 600x600
dpi.

Actually the printer driver is a minor part of the package. The main
show is the flexible screen-capture and graphics editing parts.

There's a free 30-day trial, but I think you'll find it so useful it's
worth paying US$50 for it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Feb 17, 9:29*pm, "imap123" wrote:
fhfhfh"Jay Freedman" wrote in message

Some disagreement.

The reason I asked is that I had searched the Internet and tried some
programs.So far,all caca.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

wrote in message
On Feb 17, 9:29 pm, "imap123" wrote:
fhfhfh"Jay Freedman" wrote in message

Some disagreement.

The reason I asked is that I had searched the Internet and tried some
programs.So far,all caca.

In what regard is there disagreement? The output quality from the SnagIt
driver in TIF format is excellent, but at the end of the day TIF is a
bitmapped format and if you then need to scale the output file to use it,
you are going to run into problems.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

I stumbled across the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer.

Works well except that its maximum resolution is 300 DPI. The output
looks pretty crappy as a result. However, 600 DPI would probably cross
the threshold of pretty bad to pretty good.. It's surprising that the
software does not go up that high.

User needs document to be in an uneditable format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

MODI is set at 300 as that is the standard adopted for the OCR software that
partners it. You can set SnagIt to output at 600, but the image is then
huge.

There is no such thing as an uneditable format. Any document the user has
access to can be edited - and that includes TIF format. You can merely slow
down the process of editing and for that you may as well use PDF.

wrote in message
I stumbled across the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer.

Works well except that its maximum resolution is 300 DPI. The output
looks pretty crappy as a result. However, 600 DPI would probably cross
the threshold of pretty bad to pretty good.. It's surprising that the
software does not go up that high.

User needs document to be in an uneditable format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

"User needs document to be in an uneditable format."

Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Word documents can be saved as 'read only' (password-protected).

Another easy solution has been a part of Windows for years: Print to the
Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

You can also print to PDF.

It would be good to know exactly how "uneditable" the document needs to be.
Even if you find a way to print to .tiff, that doesn't prevent a user from
using OCR.

Daddy