Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] wolf_tracks@invalid.com is offline

Default Merging Tables, Adding Rows--Word 2007, Win7

I've created two tables with the same number or columns and same content
in each column. How do I merge the two tables?

I'd like to add 10 or so rows to a table, but right mouse click on a row
allows an insert of only one row. Another way?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you select 10 rows and choose Insert Rows, you'll get 10. Or you can
insert one, select two, press F4, select the four, press F4, etc., till you
get the number you want.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I've created two tables with the same number or columns and same content
in each column. How do I merge the two tables?

I'd like to add 10 or so rows to a table, but right mouse click on a row
allows an insert of only one row. Another way?

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 2/27/2010 9:21 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you select 10 rows and choose Insert Rows, you'll get 10. Or you can
insert one, select two, press F4, select the four, press F4, etc., till
you get the number you want.

There is no ability to do that on the menu I see. I select an entire
row, and right click. A menu appears. I select Insert. There's only one
choice for adding rows. It adds exactly one. Perhaps there's some other
area that represents a global no. of rows?

How about merging.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Have you tried what happens if you select more than one row of your table,
right-click, and choose Insert Rows?

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 9:21 AM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you select 10 rows and choose Insert Rows, you'll get 10. Or you can
insert one, select two, press F4, select the four, press F4, etc., till
you get the number you want.

There is no ability to do that on the menu I see. I select an entire
row, and right click. A menu appears. I select Insert. There's only one
choice for adding rows. It adds exactly one. Perhaps there's some other
area that represents a global no. of rows?

How about merging.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 2/27/2010 3:31 PM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Have you tried what happens if you select more than one row of your
table, right-click, and choose Insert Rows?

Ah, ha. I get the same number of new rows as I've selected.

How about the merge of combining of two successive tables that have the
same number of columns?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Delete everything in between them. As a minimum there will be an empty
paragraph which will appear as ¶ when you click on the Show/Hide button (¶)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 3:31 PM, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Have you tried what happens if you select more than one row of your
table, right-click, and choose Insert Rows?

Ah, ha. I get the same number of new rows as I've selected.

How about the merge of combining of two successive tables that have the
same number of columns?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 2/27/2010 9:01 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Delete everything in between them. As a minimum there will be an empty
paragraph which will appear as ¶ when you click on the Show/Hide button (¶)

The two tables are snug with no gap. Am I supposed to highlight both
tables? Show/Hide?

If I go to Layout tab and look at Merge, it only shows merge cells and
no merge tables. Help is useless.

Well, now that I know how to add multiple rows to a table, I can
extend the no. rows in table 1, and copy table 2 into it.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you don't see anything between the tables even with nonprinting
characters displayed, there are two possibilities:

1. There really is nothing between the tables, and this is one of those
freak cases where they refuse to join.

2. There is a paragraph there formatted as 1 point in font size and line
spacing. You may be able to make it appear if you select the space around it
(that is, the last row of the first table and the first row of the second)
and press Ctrl+Spacebar and (if necessary) Ctrl+Q. You may then need to
restore any direct formatting to the text in the table cells you had
selected.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 9:01 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Delete everything in between them. As a minimum there will be an empty
paragraph which will appear as ¶ when you click on the Show/Hide button
(¶)

The two tables are snug with no gap. Am I supposed to highlight both
tables? Show/Hide?

If I go to Layout tab and look at Merge, it only shows merge cells and no
merge tables. Help is useless.

Well, now that I know how to add multiple rows to a table, I can extend
the no. rows in table 1, and copy table 2 into it.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If the tables have exactly identical rows, removing the paragraph between
them will cause the tables to merge. If one (or more) of the columns is
slightly out of alignment, it won't merge. Ramp up your Zoom level and see
if it is obvious which one is misaligned and nudge it back. As you align it,
you will see the column border being moved turn very pale as they align. To
check that all is now well, if you select a column by hovering the mouse
over the top of a column and clicking, will highlight the whole column.

Terry

wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 9:01 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Delete everything in between them. As a minimum there will be an empty
paragraph which will appear as ¶ when you click on the Show/Hide button
(¶)

The two tables are snug with no gap. Am I supposed to highlight both
tables? Show/Hide?

If I go to Layout tab and look at Merge, it only shows merge cells and no
merge tables. Help is useless.

Well, now that I know how to add multiple rows to a table, I can extend
the no. rows in table 1, and copy table 2 into it.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

FWIW, having columns out of line should not prevent the tables from merging
since there is no requirement that columns be aligned. But it can't hurt to
try this.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
On 2/27/2010 9:01 PM, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Delete everything in between them. As a minimum there will be an empty
paragraph which will appear as ¶ when you click on the Show/Hide button
(¶)

The two tables are snug with no gap. Am I supposed to highlight both
tables? Show/Hide?

If I go to Layout tab and look at Merge, it only shows merge cells and no
merge tables. Help is useless.

Well, now that I know how to add multiple rows to a table, I can extend
the no. rows in table 1, and copy table 2 into it.

Solid waste produced to generate electricity per person
over a lifetime:
Nuclear power -- 2 pounds in a coke can
Fossil (coal) fuel -- 68.5 tons in six 12-ton RR cars

-- Power to Save the World, Gwyneth Cravens

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Make sure that neither of the tables has the "Text wrapping" property set to
"Around" If one has the property set that way, removing the empty paragraph
from between the tables will "move" them snuggly together, but they will
still act as independent tables.