Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kenppy kenppy is offline

Default Automatic date removal

Hi,

We have a large number of old document files with a date field that
updates automatically on opening and saves on exit. This system might
have been useful at one time but now we need to view the actual date for
reference purposes. Is there any way to disable this momentarily.
Making the file read-only does not stop this.

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the system
date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate
fields - ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE
\@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your
letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct
dates. The switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.

See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automatic_date_update.htm

"kenppy" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We have a large number of old document files with a date field that
updates automatically on opening and saves on exit. This system might
have been useful at one time but now we need to view the actual date for
reference purposes. Is there any way to disable this momentarily.
Making the file read-only does not stop this.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kenppy kenppy is offline

This is fine in that it will correct the dates for future use.

The problem is that as soon as the document is opened the update
happens.
We need to know what the *original* date is.

The reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the system
date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate
fields - ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE
\@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your
letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct
dates. The switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Note the words "CREATE DATE". They mean exactly what they say: note that is
the date the field was created not the date the document was created.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kenppy" wrote in message
om...
This is fine in that it will correct the dates for future use.

The problem is that as soon as the document is opened the update
happens.
We need to know what the *original* date is.

The reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the system
date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate
fields - ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to {
CREATEDATE
\@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your
letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct
dates. The switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

note that is
the date the field was created not the date the document was created.

Not so: the CREATEDATE field reports the date the document was created, no
matter when the field is inserted.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Note the words "CREATE DATE". They mean exactly what they say: note that
is the date the field was created not the date the document was created.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kenppy" wrote in message
om...
This is fine in that it will correct the dates for future use.

The problem is that as soon as the document is opened the update
happens.
We need to know what the *original* date is.

The reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the system
date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate
fields - ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to {
CREATEDATE
\@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your
letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct
dates. The switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Sorry. I don't know what happened there. What I had commanded my fingers to
type was:

"Note the words "CREATE DATE". They mean exactly what they say: not the date
the field was created but the date the document was created."

I'll explain that away as my excitement of going away on holidays for two
weeks this Saturday!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
note that is
the date the field was created not the date the document was created.

Not so: the CREATEDATE field reports the date the document was created, no
matter when the field is inserted.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Note the words "CREATE DATE". They mean exactly what they say: note that
is the date the field was created not the date the document was created.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"kenppy" wrote in message
om...
This is fine in that it will correct the dates for future use.

The problem is that as soon as the document is opened the update
happens.
We need to know what the *original* date is.

The reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the
system
date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate
fields - ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to {
CREATEDATE
\@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your
letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct
dates. The switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fumei2 via OfficeKB.com Fumei2 via OfficeKB.com is offline

Technically speaking, we do not know if the CREATEDATE is the correct thing
to do.

What if the document was created December 12, 2008...but the date in the
document was for - oh, I don't know - the date an invoice was sent, November
2, 2008. Or, the date of something in the future "Pay up by February 1, 2009
or we will send thugs."

I can agree that it is likely that CREATEDATE is what the OP wants, but we
certainly do not know this for sure.

If CREATEDATE is not desired, unfortunately the OP is out of luck. If the
DATE field was set for automatic update, there is no record of its original
value.

Terry Farrell wrote:
I can hear the Indian Ocean calling!

Terry

I'm very relieved to hear you haven't completely lost your senses! Have
fun on your vacation!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well Yes and No!

If it shows 'date of invoice' that was a day that differed from the
CreateDate, then it was probably entered manually and wouldn't update. If
the Op new how to enter a different date (from the CreateDate)
automatically, I guess they would know sufficient about Word dates to
understand CreateDate anyway. g

Terry