Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DiversityCouncil DiversityCouncil is offline

Default Mail merge documents lost their data source in 2007 upgrade.

When I upgraded from Word 2003 to 2007, all of my mail merge documents
disconnected from their data source files. If I recreate the documents on my
hard drive, they will work, but if I recreate them on my server, the header
files still don't attach.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. There are certainly problems in connecting to sources when they, or
your main document, are on network drives rather than local drives. I
have never managed to get tot he bottom of it, nor have I ever seen a
Microsoft KB article about it even though I reported this general type
of problem several years ago.

2. Also, I was never completely sure whether some of these problems were
to do with Word 2007, or more to do with Word 2007 on Windows Vista. In
the latter case at least, either Word or the operating system tends to
make copies of any file opened from a location that it regards as
untrusted. This can be confusing because I would have thought locations
on a network drive in a Windows domain might have been regarded as
trusted automatically, but in fact you still seem to have to go into
Internet Explorer and try to work out how to get Windows to trust those
folders. And even that probably won't fix the problem.

3. If you are using /header data sources/ as your post suggests, you may
be better off switching to using /actual data sources/ instead, and
ditching the headers, because the idea of separate header sources has
been gradually removed from the standard User Interface.

Sorry I cannot be particularly helpful on this one - I probably should
have pressed Microsoft Support for a solution all those years ago.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk