Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bushwood bushwood is offline

Default Conditional Format Switch

How can you format a word 2007 mergefield a certain way depending on the type
of value it encounters in your excel 2007 data source during the mailmerge?
Basically, the merge will encounter blank record, EIN, or Address. We want
the special format switch if encounter EIN, and then if not all numeric just
pull the cell contents is fine.

Thanks for any help!
--
"Gambling is illegal @ Bushwood and I never slice."
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can you spell out what
a. could be in this column
b. wat you mean by "EIN" ?

As background, there are (at least) two separate problems when using
Excel and a Mail Merge Data Source:
a. How do you ensure that your data reaches Word intact? (e.g., if the
first 8 rows in your column contain numbers, then the chances are that a
non-numeric text value in the column wi come across as 0)
b. even when the values reach Word intact, how do you decide that a
particular value needs to be formatted as (a) text, (b) numeric, (c)
date etc.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 28/04/2010 23:01, bushwood wrote:
How can you format a word 2007 mergefield a certain way depending on the type
of value it encounters in your excel 2007 data source during the mailmerge?
Basically, the merge will encounter blank record, EIN, or Address. We want
the special format switch if encounter EIN, and then if not all numeric just
pull the cell contents is fine.

Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bushwood bushwood is offline

EIN Employer Identification Number. 12-3456789 format always numeric. The
switch is \# ##'-'####### but suppress switch when encounter cell with any
sort of alpha character... can you do this?

I understand the first few rows probelm can be solved with DDE as source
data ? Not really sure how to accomplish this, but I did read through all of
the examples I could find here and over the web.
--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bushwood bushwood is offline

More clarification... merge will encounter blank cells, text cells, numeric
cells, text and numeric cells. We only want the switch on numeric only
cells. Should just pull all cell contents just fine if anything but numeric
only if you can state a condition based on MERGFIELD \* charformat or
something? How do you put an IF statement to valuate format?
--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As posted in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement, use:

{ IF { = { MERGEFIELD Address } - { MERGEFIELD Address } } = 0 { MERGEFIELD
Address \# "##'-'######"] } { MERGEFIELD Address } }

or whatever the field name is. Only if its contents are numeric will the
result of the subtraction will be zero.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
bushwood bushwood is offline

I guess you can't really evaluate MERGEFIELD formats like I was thinking but
this should definitely achieve the same end result for me. Thanks very much!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Conditional Format for cells Joanie Tables 3 March 23rd 09 06:17 AM
HOW DO I SET UP A CONDITIONAL FORMAT TO A FIELD DOUG GARDNER Mailmerge 1 October 20th 08 12:28 AM
how to conditional format in a Word table Under Pressure Tables 5 December 29th 07 08:36 PM
Conditional format JohnM Tables 1 October 16th 05 03:18 PM
If then else with conditional format using comapre AND Dennis at Arcadia Mailmerge 1 January 25th 05 10:31 PM