bookend bookend is offline
Junior Member

Default "Preferred width" in macro, among other things.

Hi, I’m using Word 2000.

I had developed a beautiful “book” (essentially many images with text detail) that I decided I would rather have in A5 format, printing on A4. This, of course, introduced a whole host of problems because the original, that had initially been one long table and then was split into multiple three row subsets, now had to have each subset resized to fit in a “booklet” template that I am now using.

I have a myriad of questions, not least of which is why (when printing on A4 at least) every printer that I have ever owned has an enormous (relatively) bottom margin? Consequently, when printing A5 booklet form on A4 landscape, the forced (to make them match) margins effectively reduce the amount of space you have considerably. Then, if you add a suitable gutter for ring/comb binding, you reduce the space even more. If you are going to ring/comb bind, wouldn’t it be much better using that (physically bottom) margin as the “gutter” as you have to cut them down the center anyway? Is there some software/template that will transpose print the pages to cater for that (i.e. 1/16 as opposed to 16/1 on the first sheet, 15/2 next, etc.?

Anyway, that is for another thread. As far as the table is concerned….

I soon realized that I needed a macro that would resize the cells. However, I have come across a problem that I can’t seem to get over (well, probably not without VB help).

The “preferred width” box is not necessarily checked and, I would guess, by the problems that have arisen, the macro needs to be set to cater for both circumstances as, rather than checking it, as per the original macro recording, it is flipping it. How do you do get it to ensure it is checked?

Also, included in the macro is a picture (in one of the cells) size change and despite the fact that only the width was changed in recording the macro and the “lock aspect ratio” is always checked (because I want them all the same width but aspect ratio locked), it has set up the VB code to change both width and height, presumably to the dimensions of the picture that was used in setting up the macro originally, which screws up all the pictures. Still, I guess that is for another thread.