Jeff

Default Correcting out of sequence Figure numbers

I have some figures whose numbers are out of order sequence. For instance
Figure 3 appears before Figure 2. How do I correct the numbers? If I just
delete the number and change it will that break the cross references?

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Correcting out of sequence Figure numbers

Hi Jeff,

To correct out of sequence figure numbers in Microsoft Word, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the first figure that is out of sequence (in your example, Figure 3).
  2. Right-click on the figure and select "Caption" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the Caption dialog box, click on the "Numbering" button.
  4. In the "Caption Numbering" dialog box, select the correct figure number (in your example, Figure 2) from the "Include chapter number" drop-down menu.
  5. Click "OK" to close the "Caption Numbering" dialog box.
  6. Click "OK" to close the "Caption" dialog box.

This should update the figure number and also update any cross-references to that figure. Repeat these steps for any other out of sequence figures.

If you simply delete the number and change it, it may break any cross-references to that figure, as you mentioned. It's always best to use the built-in caption feature in Word to ensure that all figure numbers and cross-references are updated correctly.
__________________
TF

Jeff

The answer may depend on how you inserted the Figure Number and which
version of Word you are using. Word's numbering is a nightmare when it goes
wrong and deleting the numbers may not resolve the problem. See the
following FAQ for an explanation and some ideas of how to use numbering in
Word that will be reasonably stable.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Jeff" wrote in message
:I have some figures whose numbers are out of order sequence. For instance
: Figure 3 appears before Figure 2. How do I correct the numbers? If I just
: delete the number and change it will that break the cross references?
:
: Thanks.
:
: --
:
: Jeff Stevens
: Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
:
:
:
:

Doug Robbins

Try selecting the ones that are out of sequence and then press F9 (to update
the fields)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.