Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
04cah 04cah is offline

Default How do I shuffle a numbered list in Word?

I have a list of Latin Vocabulary which I want to shuffle using word. It is
currently a numbered list but I cannot find a way to reorder it.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I shuffle a numbered list in Word?

Great question! Here's how you can shuffle a numbered list in Word:
  1. Select the entire list by clicking and dragging your mouse over it or by placing your cursor at the beginning of the list and pressing Ctrl+A on your keyboard.
  2. Right-click on the selected list and choose "Cut" from the context menu. This will remove the list from your document.
  3. Place your cursor where you want the shuffled list to appear.
  4. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  5. Click on the small arrow next to the "Paste" button in the ribbon to open the Paste Special menu.
  6. Choose "Unformatted Text" from the options in the Paste Special menu.
  7. Type or paste your list into the text box that appears.
  8. Select the entire list by clicking and dragging your mouse over it or by placing your cursor at the beginning of the list and pressing Ctrl+A on your keyboard.
  9. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  10. Click on the small arrow next to the "Sort" button in the ribbon to open the Sort dialog box.
  11. In the Sort dialog box, choose "Paragraphs" from the "Sort by" dropdown menu.
  12. Choose "Random" from the "Type" dropdown menu.
  13. Click "OK" to shuffle your list.

Your numbered list should now be shuffled! If you want to renumber the list, you can do so by selecting the entire list and clicking on the "Numbering" button in the ribbon.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello 04cah

04cah wrote:
I have a list of Latin Vocabulary which I want to shuffle using word. It is
currently a numbered list but I cannot find a way to reorder it.

Word isn't all too well suited for that. You could do it with a dose of
VBA, but it's simpler to copy the list into Excel, create a random seed
in a new column, and order by that seed.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If I understand correctly, you want to rearrange the list of terms & have
the numbering stay with the term. IOW, the numbers will *not* be in order
after 'shuffling'.

There are 2 options I can think of, both of which require that you *not* use
the auto-numbering feature - it is a formatting tool, sequential by
definition:

1- If you turn off automatic numbered lists you can assign any number as you
type the term. You can then select any paragraph (number + term) and drag it
to any other position in the list.

2- Use a 2-column table with the numbers in col. 1, the terms in col. 2
(turn off the borders if you don't want them to show). You can also
rearrange the order of the rows as you prefer.

Either option will also permit use of the TableSort feature for ascending
or descending order based on the content of either column (field), but there
is no built-in feature to 'randomize' the order... You'll have to do that
yourself if that is what you're getting at.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/3/06 8:53 AM, in article
, "04cah"
wrote:

I have a list of Latin Vocabulary which I want to shuffle using word. It is
currently a numbered list but I cannot find a way to reorder it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" schrieb:
[...] You could do it with a dose of VBA, [...]

You can find macros for shuffling paras he
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...09418e6587b07b

Regards,
Klaus