Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Default Line breaks in find and replace w/ wildcards

I know that ^13 is to be used to indicate paragraphs when searching with
wildcards, but what is used for a line break? Also, where on the internet
can I find a table with this type of information?

Thanks again!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Line breaks in find and replace w/ wildcards

Hey there! Great question. To indicate a line break when searching with wildcards in Microsoft Word, you can use the "^l" code. So, for example, if you wanted to find all instances of a line break followed by the word "example," you could search for "^lexample" using wildcards.

As for finding a table with this type of information, Microsoft has a great support article that lists all of the wildcard codes you can use in Word:
  1. Go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/find-and-replace-text-by-using-regular-expressions-advanced-eeaa03b0-e9f3-4921-b1e8-85b0ad1c427f

Hope that helps!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The line break (a.k.a. new line) is ^11.

The list is at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197855, and it's
reproduced along with lots of other useful information at
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman