Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mike

Default In Word I get large spacing between paragraphs and can't change

In Word when I hit return the curser jumps many lines down and I don't know
how this happened and I can not get it back to normal.

How do I get it back to one line when hitting the return key?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: In Word I get large spacing between paragraphs and can't change

It sounds like you may have accidentally changed the line spacing setting in your Word document. Here's how you can fix it:
  1. Select the text that has the large spacing between paragraphs.
  2. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the "Paragraph" section and click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of that section to open the Paragraph dialog box.
  4. In the Paragraph dialog box, look for the "Spacing" section.
  5. In the "Before" and "After" boxes, make sure the values are set to "0 pt" or "Single" spacing.
  6. If the "Line spacing" is set to "Multiple", change it to "Single" or "1.0".
  7. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

If you want to change the default line spacing for all new documents in Word, you can follow these steps:
  1. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section to open the Paragraph dialog box.
  3. In the Paragraph dialog box, make sure the "Indents and Spacing" tab is selected.
  4. Under "Spacing", change the "Line spacing" to "Single" or "1.0".
  5. Click the "Set As Default" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
  6. In the "Normal.dotm" template, click "OK" to apply the changes.

I hope this helps you fix the issue with your line spacing in Word!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
toolmaker

Hi Mike:

I think you must have altered your default paragraph style somehow. If your
"Formatting" toolbar isn't visible, make it so: View Toolbars
Formatting. Then look at the style name next to the font name. Is the style
you are using named "Normal"? (That's the default.)

(If it isn't, you'll need to work with the Normal.dot template: a subject
for a different reply.)

To adjust the Normal Style, Go to "Format Styles and Formatting ..." That
will open the Styles Task Pane (if you are using Word 2003). Find the style
named "Normal". Right-click the style and select "Modify".

That opens the "Modify Style" dialog. In the bottom-left corner of the
dialog, click on the "Format" button. Select "Paragraph ..." Look at the
row labeled "Spacing." If the "Before" and "After" boxes don't show "0 pt"
or "Auto", change each box to one or the other. "Auto" adds a little bit of
extra space between paragraphs, depending on the font size. "0 pt" leaves
just that, and that's the way I like it, myself

Enjoy!
Toolmaker.

"mike" wrote:

In Word when I hit return the curser jumps many lines down and I don't know
how this happened and I can not get it back to normal.

How do I get it back to one line when hitting the return key?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Check the spacing on the paragraph (Format - Paragraph). Chances are it's
set for something other than 0.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"mike" mike @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
In Word when I hit return the curser jumps many lines down and I don't
know
how this happened and I can not get it back to normal.

How do I get it back to one line when hitting the return key?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Golden Steve Golden is offline

--
Steve Golden
Toolmaker,
I have the same problem as Mike and followed your instructions. It works in
the document that I am working on but it does not change the default (or the
Normal) the next time I write something. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Steve