Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Justin Justin is offline

Default Header and Footer doesn't show anymore

Whenever I open up a new word document, the header doesn't appear anymore.
The cursor is right at the top, just below the ruler. If I click View, then
Header/Footer, to type in the header, the toolbar shows up and the header box
appears. Then I can click close in the Header/Footer toolbar and the page
looks normal. Basically, how do I show the top and bottom margins when I
open a new document?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Header and Footer doesn't show anymore

It sounds like the header and footer settings may have been turned off in your Word program. Here are the steps to turn them back on:
  1. Open a new Word document.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the "Header" and "Footer" options in the "Header & Footer" section of the ribbon.
  4. Click on either "Header" or "Footer" and select a pre-designed option or "Edit Header" or "Edit Footer" to create your own.
  5. Once you have added your header or footer, click "Close Header and Footer" in the "Close" section of the ribbon.
  6. Your header and footer should now be visible on your document.

If you want to make sure that your header and footer settings are always turned on when you open a new document, you can follow these additional steps:
  1. Click on the "File" tab at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. Click on "Display" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Under the "Always show these formatting marks on the screen" section, make sure that the "Show drawings and text boxes on screen" option is checked.
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.

This should ensure that your header and footer settings are always visible when you open a new document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen Jen is offline

This is easy to do by accident. Try Tools -- Options -- View -- White
Space Between Pages - this should fix it. You can also try hovering over the
top edge of the page - you may see a funny arrow, which you can click to
expand the white space.

Jen

"Justin" wrote:

Whenever I open up a new word document, the header doesn't appear anymore.
The cursor is right at the top, just below the ruler. If I click View, then
Header/Footer, to type in the header, the toolbar shows up and the header box
appears. Then I can click close in the Header/Footer toolbar and the page
looks normal. Basically, how do I show the top and bottom margins when I
open a new document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Justin,

The header and footer don't show in 'Normal', 'Web' or 'Outline' views. Try using View|Print Layout from the menu.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]