Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Default Finding duplicate phrases and paragraphs.

I am copying a rare particular story from many different
newsgroups and pasting the fragments into a Word2003
document.

Is there some way to automatically find duplicated sections
of the story to as to help weld it into one seamless whole?

In the spell checker one can easily do this for duplicated
words, but I need the same thing for duplicated strings, and
even sentences.

Please help, Frank

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Finding duplicate phrases and paragraphs.

Hi Frank,

Yes, there is a way to find duplicate phrases and paragraphs in Microsoft Word 2003. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open your document in Word 2003.
  2. Click on "Edit" in the menu bar and select "Find" (or press Ctrl + F on your keyboard).
  3. In the "Find what" field, type in the phrase or sentence you want to check for duplicates.
  4. Click on "Reading Highlight" and select "Highlight All" from the drop-down menu.
  5. Word will highlight all instances of the phrase or sentence in your document. You can then compare them to see if they are duplicates.
  6. If you want to find duplicate paragraphs, you can use the same method but instead of typing in a phrase or sentence, you can type in a paragraph and follow the same steps.

I hope this helps you to find and eliminate any duplicate sections in your story.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Frank Martin" wrote:
I am copying a rare particular story from many different newsgroups and
pasting the fragments into a Word2003 document.

Is there some way to automatically find duplicated sections of the story
to as to help weld it into one seamless whole?

In the spell checker one can easily do this for duplicated words, but I
need the same thing for duplicated strings, and even sentences.

Hi Frank,

For repeated paragraphs, you could try a wildcard search for

(^13[!^13]@^13)*\1

If a repeated paragraph is found, you'll see it at the start and end of the
selection... though there needs to be at least one paragraph in between.
For repeated paragraphs right next to each other, you could use

^13([!^13]@^13)\1

For repeated sentences or other duplicated strings of some length, you'd
need a more complicated macro.
You could read the whole document into a string. You probably can find
algorithms for finding repeated phrases in the string using Google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest...string_problem

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
"Frank Martin" wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I could not get this to work, but I have found a
site with worked examples in word.
http://www.tutorials-win.com/archive/WordDoc/
Is there any way to search this archive for a specific
example?
Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
travb travb is offline