Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
green green is offline

Default Removing Text boxes without deleting text

I have used OCR software to convert a large PDF to Word. The conversion
works fairly well, but when I open the new Word document, the text has been
placed within text boxes. Is there a way to remove these text boxes without
deleting the text within them? In other words, I want the text to show up in
the document as if I typed it in normally rather than having the text appear
in text boxes. When I delete the text boxes, it also deletes the text. I
appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Removing Text boxes without deleting text

  1. Select the text box by clicking on it.
  2. Right-click on the selected text box and choose "Format Shape" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the Format Shape pane, click on the "Text Options" tab.
  4. Under "Text Box", uncheck the "Wrap text in shape" option.
  5. Click "Close" to exit the Format Shape pane.
  6. The text box will now be removed, and the text within it will remain in the document.

If you have multiple text boxes that you want to remove, you can use the "Select Objects" tool to select them all at once. Here's how:
  1. Click on the "Select Objects" tool in the "Home" tab of the ribbon.
  2. Click and drag your mouse to draw a box around all the text boxes you want to select.
  3. Once all the text boxes are selected, right-click on one of them and choose "Format Shape" from the drop-down menu.
  4. Follow steps 3-5 above to remove the text boxes without deleting the text within them.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There's a good chance that the boxes are actually frames rather than text
boxes. If so, pressing Ctrl+A (to select the entire document) and Ctrl+Q (to
reset paragraph formatting to the default) will remove them, though the
order of the text may be higgledy-piggledy, depending on how the frames were
anchored.

If they actually are text boxes, you can use Format | Text Box | Text Box to
convert a single text box to a frame, then select other text boxes in turn
and use F4 (repeat) to convert them, then remove the frames as described
above.

The only other alternative, I'm afraid, is to select the text in the text
box, Copy, Paste outside the text box, and then delete the text box.

"green" wrote in message
I have used OCR software to convert a large PDF to Word. The conversion
works fairly well, but when I open the new Word document, the text has
been
placed within text boxes. Is there a way to remove these text boxes
without
deleting the text within them? In other words, I want the text to show up
in
the document as if I typed it in normally rather than having the text
appear
in text boxes. When I delete the text boxes, it also deletes the text. I
appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The only other alternative, I'm afraid, is to select the text in the
text box, Copy, Paste outside the text box, and then delete the text
box.

In such circumstances it may be quicker to simply use the OCR to re-convert
to plain text.Either way there is going to be a lot of re-formatting.