Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAL JAL is offline

Default Switching dot for comma on dot key of keypad

Is it possible on Word (2003, 2007) make the dot key on the numeric keypad
works as it works on Excel, that is, behaving as a number decimal separator?

For instance, in my case (Portugal), I would need the dot (.) acting as a ,
(comma) as it is the decimal (real part) separator.

Thank you.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Switching dot for comma on dot key of keypad

Yes, it is possible to change the behavior of the dot key on the numeric keypad in Word to act as a decimal separator instead of a period. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Open Word and click on the "File" tab in the top left corner.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Word Options window, click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Editing options" section and check the box next to "Use the system separators".
  5. Click on the "Decimal separator" drop-down menu and select the comma (,) option.
  6. Click on "OK" to save the changes.

Now, when you type a number with a decimal point using the dot key on the numeric keypad, it will automatically be converted to a comma. This setting will apply to all documents you create or edit in Word on your computer.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is an adjustment in Windows -- Start Control Panel Regional
and Language Options. The first panel you see lets you change the
defaults for things like date format and number format.

On Jul 28, 7:19 am, jal wrote:
Is it possible on Word (2003, 2007) make the dot key on the numeric keypad
works as it works on Excel, that is, behaving as a number decimal separator?

For instance, in my case (Portugal), I would need the dot (.) acting as a ,
(comma) as it is the decimal (real part) separator.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TedMi TedMi is offline

This works in 2007, but not in 2003. In older versions of Word, the period on
the numpad always inputs a period, regardless of regional settings.
--
TedMi

"grammatim" wrote:

This is an adjustment in Windows -- Start Control Panel Regional
and Language Options. The first panel you see lets you change the
defaults for things like date format and number format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAL JAL is offline

Regional settings are OK.

What I need is, when in Word, when I press the dot (.) key on the numeric
keypad to get the comma (,) character instead. This behavior is normal on
Excel and works as expected for numbers entries.

I believe that those people whose language have dot (.) as a decimal mark
don't notice this, but Word sticks to the dot key character and doesn't
substitute if for the comma character (as happens on Excel). When entering
numbers on Word, substituting dots for commas is very needed.

Thanks for your reply.

On Jul 28, 7:19 am, jal wrote:
Is it possible on Word (2003, 2007) make the dot key on the numeric keypad
works as it works on Excel, that is, behaving as a number decimal separator?

For instance, in my case (Portugal), I would need the dot (.) acting as a ,
(comma) as it is the decimal (real part) separator.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Interesting. I have both Word 2007 and Word 2003 on my PC (which may account
for the difference) but if I switch to a Greek Keyboard (I live in a Greek
speaking country) the period on the numeric keyboard produces a comma in
both Word 2003 and 2007.

I added the Portuguese input language and Portuguese (Portugal) keyboard and
in this instance, the period was not substituted for a comma in either
version. I then added the Portuguese (Brazilian) keyboard to the Portuguese
input language and this time the period was substituted - again in both
versions. Clearly the keyboard and language settings are crucial. I don't
know what the difference is between the Portuguese and Brazilian keyboard
patterns is, but you can always add the alternative keyboard and switch
between them at will.

tedmi wrote:
This works in 2007, but not in 2003. In older versions of Word, the
period on the numpad always inputs a period, regardless of regional
settings.

This is an adjustment in Windows -- Start Control Panel Regional
and Language Options. The first panel you see lets you change the
defaults for things like date format and number format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAL JAL is offline

So this seems to be a portuguese_pt oddity (bug or bad decision).
Really, It didn't make sense.

Switching keyboards may not do because Brazilian keyboard is different.
However I may try to ask Microsoft to make Portuguese keyboard act as the
others. I really didn't know that other keyboards worked correctly.

Thanks very much for your help.

tedmi wrote:
This works in 2007, but not in 2003. In older versions of Word, the
period on the numpad always inputs a period, regardless of regional
settings.

This is an adjustment in Windows -- Start Control Panel Regional
and Language Options. The first panel you see lets you change the
defaults for things like date format and number format.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can setup two keyboards and switch quickly between them when you are
using the key pad.Whether this is a bug or 'by design' I cannot say.

keypad Yvonne Microsoft Word Help 1 July 15th 08 09:16 PM
non-responsive keypad Bellas Microsoft Word Help 2 May 23rd 07 10:57 AM
Mergefield with comma, suppress comma if field blank JB reluctantly from WP Mailmerge 3 November 17th 06 01:36 AM
number keypad bertina Microsoft Word Help 1 September 27th 05 02:44 AM
keypad jkn Microsoft Word Help 1 February 11th 05 04:08 PM