Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Martin at Catlin Martin at Catlin is offline

Default How do I return to last cursor position in MS Word?

I need a WORD "return to previous calling location" (return to the hyperlink
which called the bookmarked text) option when using with hyperlinks within
the same document? Shift F5 is insufficient as the calling location was not
being edited. This would have similar functionality to the BACK button in a
web browser. Better would be a functionality like SHIFT F5 (with 3 previous
locations recorded) but relating to the last cursor position rather than
editing position. This would be useful where navigation is by mouse or
hyperlink rather than using arrow keys.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I return to last cursor position in MS Word?

To return to the last cursor position in MS Word:
  1. Click on the "View" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the "Navigation Pane" checkbox to open the navigation pane on the left side of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Go Back" button in the navigation pane. This will take you back to the last place you were editing or viewing in your document.

To go back to a specific location in your document using a bookmark:
  1. Select the text that you want to bookmark.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Bookmark" button in the "Links" section.
  4. In the "Bookmark" dialog box, give your bookmark a name and click "Add".
  5. To return to the bookmarked location, click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  6. Click on the "Bookmark" button in the "Links" section.
  7. In the "Bookmark" dialog box, select the bookmark you want to go to and click "Go To".
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you display the Web toolbar, you can use the Back button on it. Or you
can use the keyboard shortcut for that command: Alt + Left Arrow.

"Martin at Catlin" Martin at wrote in
message ...
I need a WORD "return to previous calling location" (return to the
hyperlink
which called the bookmarked text) option when using with hyperlinks within
the same document? Shift F5 is insufficient as the calling location was
not
being edited. This would have similar functionality to the BACK button in
web browser. Better would be a functionality like SHIFT F5 (with 3
previous
locations recorded) but relating to the last cursor position rather than
editing position. This would be useful where navigation is by mouse or
hyperlink rather than using arrow keys.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And... if you don't want to keep the web toolbar displayed all the time, you
can copy just that tool to the Standard or Advanced toolbar.

Also... you don't say which version of Word you're using. But, if you're
using Word 2007, there is no Web toolbar. Instead, you can add the Back and
Forward buttons to the Quick Access Toolbar. Right click the QAT and choose
Customize... Set Choose commands... to Commands not in the Ribbon. In the
left list, click and then tap the B key. It will take you to the first
command starting with B, which happens to be Back. Click Add, and use the
up/down icons as needed to position the Back button as needed. Click in the
left list again and tap the F key. The Forward command is about 2/3 down the
list of commands starting with F.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible