Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DebsH DebsH is offline

Default Removing outline numbering from heading styles?

Having updated my heading styles by applying a multilevel list (i.e. 1, 1.1,
1.1.1), how do I permanently revert back to simple headings without numbers?
I can remove the multilevel list from the text itself, but subsequent new
headings continue to be numbered. I can update each heading style in turn to
match a selected heading that has had numbering turned off, but there must
surely be a way to remove the outline numbering from all the styles despite
the fact that outline numbering is no longer accessible via Modify Style?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Removing outline numbering from heading styles?

Yes, there is a way to remove the outline numbering from all the styles in Microsoft Word. Here's how:
  1. Go to the Home tab and click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the Styles group to open the Styles pane.
  2. In the Styles pane, click on the Options button in the bottom left corner and select "Select styles to show" from the dropdown menu.
  3. In the "Select styles to show" dialog box, select "All styles" and click OK.
  4. Scroll down the list of styles until you find the heading styles that have the numbering applied (e.g. Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.).
  5. Right-click on each heading style and select "Modify" from the context menu.
  6. In the Modify Style dialog box, click on the Format button in the bottom left corner and select "Numbering" from the dropdown menu.
  7. In the Numbering dialog box, select "None" from the list of numbering styles and click OK.
  8. Click OK again to close the Modify Style dialog box.
  9. Repeat steps 5-8 for each heading style that has the numbering applied.
  10. Once you have removed the numbering from all the heading styles, click on the Options button in the Styles pane again and select "Recommended" from the dropdown menu to hide the styles you don't need.

That's it! Now all your heading styles should be back to simple headings without numbers.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 paragraph of your document,
and then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. In
the dialog box, make sure to set "Link level to style" to "(no style)" for
each numbering level. When you are done, click OK to close the dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP