Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

Default WORD DOES NOT RESPOND

I have Microsoft Office 2003 and "only word " will not open....excel,
outlook, etc all open and work fine...only word will not open....it keeps
"hourglassing"....to close it I have to open "task Manager" and close
"winword"....I have opened word in the "safe mode" and used detect/repair and
also gone into add/remove programs and used "repair microsoft office there
.....they both completed successfully...

help....

--
JAY
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Jay,

I have Microsoft Office 2003 and "only word " will not open....excel,
outlook, etc all open and work fine...only word will not open....it keeps
"hourglassing"....to close it I have to open "task Manager" and close
"winword"....I have opened word in the "safe mode" and used detect/repair and
also gone into add/remove programs and used "repair microsoft office there
.....they both completed successfully...

So I take it "Safe Mode" did work (Word started)?

In that case, locate the "Normal.dot" file (you'll probably need to include
"Hidden files and folders" in the search). Rename it (Normal.dot.OLD is usually
good), then start Word again (not in Safe Mode). Does it start?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jay jay is offline

Hi Cindy,
thanks 4 the info, unfortunately, word still does not open..I changed the normal file, remove/re-installed office and it still doesn't work..I also attempted to clear the "startup folder" under Office 11 and word but the folders are blank...

--
JAY

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Jay,

I have Microsoft Office 2003 and "only word " will not open....excel,
outlook, etc all open and work fine...only word will not open....it keeps
"hourglassing"....to close it I have to open "task Manager" and close
"winword"....I have opened word in the "safe mode" and used detect/repair and
also gone into add/remove programs and used "repair microsoft office there
.....they both completed successfully...

So I take it "Safe Mode" did work (Word started)?

In that case, locate the "Normal.dot" file (you'll probably need to include
"Hidden files and folders" in the search). Rename it (Normal.dot.OLD is usually
good), then start Word again (not in Safe Mode). Does it start?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Jay,

The only other thing I know of that you can try is to delete the DATA key from the Registry. You'll find information on how to do that at word.mvps.org.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)