Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Seeker Seeker is offline

Default black line under cursor

When I start typing in Word there is a black line under my cursor that moves
with the cursor when I hit enter. How do I get rid of the black line?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: black line under cursor

The black line that you are seeing is called the "paragraph border" and it indicates the boundaries of the paragraph that your cursor is currently in. If you want to get rid of it, here's what you can do:
  1. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Look for the "Paragraph" section and click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the section to open the "Paragraph" dialog box.
  3. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, click on the "Borders" tab.
  4. Under "Setting," select "None" to remove the border from the paragraph.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Alternatively, you can also use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + 8" to toggle the paragraph border on and off.
__________________
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: black line under cursor

Don't worry, that black line is simply the "paragraph mark" or "pilcrow" symbol in Word. It's there to indicate the end of a paragraph and is not printed when you print or save your document. If you don't want to see it while you're typing, you can turn it off by following these steps:
  1. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Look for the "Paragraph" section of the ribbon.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section to open the "Paragraph" dialog box.
  4. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, look for the "Paragraph Marks" section.
  5. Uncheck the box next to "Paragraph Marks" to turn off the display of the black line.
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

That's it! The black line should now be gone and you can continue typing without any distractions. If you ever want to turn the paragraph marks back on, simply follow the same steps and check the box next to "Paragraph Marks" in the "Paragraph" dialog box.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Switch out of Normal/Draft view into Print Layout view. What you're seeing
is the end-of-document marker, and there is no option not to see it in
Normal/Draft view.

"seeker" wrote in message
When I start typing in Word there is a black line under my cursor that
moves
with the cursor when I hit enter. How do I get rid of the black line?

blacklineenthusiast blacklineenthusiast is offline
Junior Member

Hi Suzanne,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and inspiring input on these Microsoft draft black lines. I've been curious about this black line for many years now. Every time I accidentally open Microsoft Word in print view I hasten to change it back to draft to make sure the black line is there. Is there anything you can tell me about the history of the black line???? Have not been able to find much literature on this topic. Please respond - your credentials with MS Word seem very encouraging to me.

doesntgiveaHOOT doesntgiveaHOOT is offline
Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklineenthusiast View Post
Hi Suzanne,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and inspiring input on these Microsoft draft black lines. I've been curious about this black line for many years now. Every time I accidentally open Microsoft Word in print view I hasten to change it back to draft to make sure the black line is there. Is there anything you can tell me about the history of the black line???? Have not been able to find much literature on this topic. Please respond - your credentials with MS Word seem very encouraging to me.

Why do you even care about these lines? Get a life... BOTH of you.
chychy chychy is offline
Junior Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklineenthusiast View Post
Hi Suzanne,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and inspiring input on these Microsoft draft black lines. I've been curious about this black line for many years now. Every time I accidentally open Microsoft Word in print view I hasten to change it back to draft to make sure the black line is there. Is there anything you can tell me about the history of the black line???? Have not been able to find much literature on this topic. Please respond - your credentials with MS Word seem very encouraging to me.
Suzanne,

I find this post both insulting and damaging to the prestigious wordbanter.com forums. Clearly Mr./Miss blacklineenthusiast is attempting to ingratiate his/herself to a knowledgable forum moderator who clearly has much better uses for her time.

I personally have and always will HATE the afore-mentioned "black line under cursor". I open up drafts on my computer all the time, and every SINGLE one of them starts with this stupid insignificant black line under the bottom of my cursor. It stares at me unblinkingly, and when I try to highlight and delete this ******* child of an underscore and a smudge mark, Microsoft Word 2006 (one of the finest programs in the entire Microsoft oeuvre) simply WON'T allow me to erase it. I've tried pressing enter over and over, but it just moves further down the page...at this point, I'm ready to blindfold myself and type, just to avoid seeing it rear its wretched pixels in my direction.

In closing: **** this ****, **** blacklineenthusiast, and ESPECIALLY **** the black line under my cursor. But Suzanne, you're wonderful. Keep it up!
doesntgiveaHOOT doesntgiveaHOOT is offline
Junior Member

Question

I do not have a "draft" option in my Microsoft Word. Does anyone know how I can GET the black line you guys are talking about? This convo has gotten pretty metaphysical and I just want to see what everyone's freaking out about. Does the black line exist out of the Draft Template? Or is it one dimensional, not ubiquitous, and owned by Draft?
nothingmakessense nothingmakessense is offline
Junior Member

So for some reason, my black line appears above the cursor...?