Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
brebner2 brebner2 is offline

Default How do create a drop down list and then make multiple selections?

I am trying to make a letter that has sections where the user can select
multiple selections from a drop down list of recommendation codes. I only
want these selections to show when I print the letter.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do create a drop down list and then make multiple selections?

  1. Open a new Word document and click on the "Developer" tab in the ribbon. If you don't see the "Developer" tab, you may need to enable it in the Word options.
  2. Click on the "Drop-Down List Content Control" button in the "Controls" group. This will insert a drop-down list control into your document.
  3. Right-click on the drop-down list control and select "Properties" from the context menu.
  4. In the "Content Control Properties" dialog box, go to the "Dropdown List Properties" tab.
  5. In the "Dropdown items" section, enter the items you want to appear in the drop-down list, one per line. For example, you could enter "Recommendation Code 1", "Recommendation Code 2", "Recommendation Code 3", etc.
  6. Check the box next to "Allow multiple selections" to enable users to select more than one item from the list.
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Content Control Properties" dialog box.
  8. Now, you can add the drop-down list to your letter. Click where you want the drop-down list to appear in your document, then click on the drop-down list control in the "Controls" group on the "Developer" tab.
  9. Repeat steps 2-8 to add additional drop-down lists for other sections of your letter.
  10. To hide the drop-down lists when you print the letter, you can use Word's "Print Hidden Text" option. Go to the "File" tab, click "Options", then go to the "Display" tab. Under "Printing options", check the box next to "Print hidden text".
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:16:01 -0700, brebner2
wrote:

I am trying to make a letter that has sections where the user can select
multiple selections from a drop down list of recommendation codes. I only
want these selections to show when I print the letter.

The dropdown form fields that you can insert in the body of the document cannot
do multiple selection, only single selection. The same is true of the combo box
and list controls from the Control Toolbox, and (in Word 2007) the combo box and
list content controls.

The one tool offered by Word that does allow multiple selection is the list box
control that you can put on a userform (a custom dialog programmed in VBA). See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userfo...eAUserForm.htm for an introduction.

In that list control, you can set the MultiSelect property to either
fmMultiSelectMulti or fmMultiSelectExtended (the difference is that
fmMultiSelectMulti lets the user simply click an item in the list to select or
deselect it, while fmMultiSelectExtended allows the use of the Shift key to
select a range of items or extend the selection, and Ctrl to select or deselect
individual items).

When the user clicks the OK button to close the userform, code (that you write)
can transfer the text of the selected items to the document body.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman