Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pnumminen pnumminen is offline

Default Baselines of fonts at the same height

Two adjacent cells contain text of different sizes. In Word 2003 and
2007, is there a way to vertically place the texts so that the
baselines of the fonts will be at exactly the same height?

Illustration:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6968/cells.gif

The Wikipedia article about the baseline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Select the cells, Table Properties, Cell tab, Options button, ensure that
Bottom Vertical alignment is selected, then click the Options button, in the
Bottom margin box there should be a value, if it is blank then one of the
cells has a different value from the other(s). Correct this and all should be
well.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"pnumminen" wrote:

Two adjacent cells contain text of different sizes. In Word 2003 and
2007, is there a way to vertically place the texts so that the
baselines of the fonts will be at exactly the same height?

Illustration:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6968/cells.gif

The Wikipedia article about the baseline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Also, if it's a case of having several lines of text in each adjacent cell,
you can set the paragraph line spacing to an exact amount that will
accommodate the largest font size.

http://word.mvps.org

"pnumminen" wrote:

Two adjacent cells contain text of different sizes. In Word 2003 and
2007, is there a way to vertically place the texts so that the
baselines of the fonts will be at exactly the same height?

Illustration:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6968/cells.gif

The Wikipedia article about the baseline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pnumminen pnumminen is offline

I see what you mean, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

The settings and what they do: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4125/cells2..gif

On May 29, 5:48*pm, DeanH wrote:
Select the cells, Table Properties, Cell tab, Options button, ensure that
Bottom Vertical alignment is selected, then click the Options button, in the
Bottom margin box there should be a value, if it is blank then one of the
cells has a different value from the other(s). Correct this and all should be
well.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Part of the issue here is that all fonts have a certain amount of "leading"
built in, most of it above the line but some of it below. Also, the way line
spacing works can be affected by numerous Compatibility Options. It's worth
looking at those to see whether changing any of them will make a difference.
But I think you will find that if you set both cells to same Exact line
spacing, the problem will be greatly reduced.

http://word.mvps.org

On May 29, 5:48 pm, DeanH wrote:
Select the cells, Table Properties, Cell tab, Options button, ensure that
Bottom Vertical alignment is selected, then click the Options button, in
the
Bottom margin box there should be a value, if it is blank then one of the
cells has a different value from the other(s). Correct this and all should
be
well.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

pnumminen was telling us:
pnumminen nous racontait que :

Two adjacent cells contain text of different sizes. In Word 2003 and
2007, is there a way to vertically place the texts so that the
baselines of the fonts will be at exactly the same height?

Illustration:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6968/cells.gif

The Wikipedia article about the baseline:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography)

I do not think that you can do that automatically.

Different fonts and different font size use a different space below the base
line for the space needed for "p", "q" , "j" etc.

You will have to play with the cell internal margins manually, or paragraph
space before/after, as I suspect you have been doing.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I find that they align properly for me if I set the alignment to Bottom and
use the same Exact line spacing for all cells.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Suzanne S. Barnhill was telling us:
Suzanne S. Barnhill nous racontait que :

I find that they align properly for me if I set the alignment to
Bottom and use the same Exact line spacing for all cells.

Ah, yes, very good. I had not tried tweaking the Line Height

And, of course, you have to make sure that there is enough space for the
larger font descenders and ascenders to print without being cut off by using
an exact Line Height that matches the largest font being used.

Also, cell vertical alignment is irrelevant, as long as it is the same in
all adjacent cells.

So the key is the "Exact Line Height" setting ("At Least" won't work
either.)

There we go... another day goes by that teaches me something new about Word!

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

On May 30, 12:35*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I find that they align properly for me if I set the alignment to Bottom and
use the same Exact line spacing for all cells.

Thanks. It worked when I changed the Line spacing option to "Exactly"
at some number big enough, Cell Vertical alignment to Bottom, and
the bottom cell margin to something appropriate. It took all three
steps.

Row height Abdul Shakeel Tables 4 November 25th 08 03:21 AM
Indian language fonts to be included as default fonts in windows Ashok Kothare Microsoft Word Help 34 October 1st 08 07:42 AM
Fonts are in Fonts folder, lost to Word & Access Gordon Jones Microsoft Word Help 3 May 23rd 08 02:07 PM
How do i remove fonts form word that arent in my fonts folder MXD Microsoft Word Help 3 April 27th 05 04:57 AM
row height zenjhen Microsoft Word Help 1 December 6th 04 09:03 PM