Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Blacktom Blacktom is offline

Default Tables and paragraph breaks

I'm inserting a table into a single page word document. It sits at the bottom
of the page, under the text. There is enough room for it to fit, but I want
to maximise the size of the table using all the available space. However,
when I drag the bottom edge of the table to where the ruler shows the margin
to be, the table breaks and continues on a new page. Revealing non-printing
characters shows that there is a paragraph break below the table, so
presumably the reason the table breaks when it hasn't exceeded the page
margins is because room is needed for the paragraph break. This seems a bit
strange, because with text, the break comes at the end of a line, i.e. it
doesn' t need a line of its own. Is there a way round this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can select and format the paragraph mark (¶) following the table as 1 pt
font size, with line spacing set to 1 pt, and spacing before/after both set
to zero. You can also format it as hidden. You can even create a paragraph
style with all of these characteristics, and apply it to the paragraph
following the table. Give the style a descriptive name such as Hidden
Paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Blacktom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

hi Blacktom,

You cannot avoid having at least one paragraph below the last table in a document. You can, however, minimize that paragraph's
effects by:
1. reducing the point size to 1
2. eliminating any 'space before'
3. formatting the paragraph as hidden

--
Cheers
macropod

"Blacktom" wrote in message ...
I'm inserting a table into a single page word document. It sits at the bottom
of the page, under the text. There is enough room for it to fit, but I want
to maximise the size of the table using all the available space. However,
when I drag the bottom edge of the table to where the ruler shows the margin
to be, the table breaks and continues on a new page. Revealing non-printing
characters shows that there is a paragraph break below the table, so
presumably the reason the table breaks when it hasn't exceeded the page
margins is because room is needed for the paragraph break. This seems a bit
strange, because with text, the break comes at the end of a line, i.e. it
doesn' t need a line of its own. Is there a way round this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

As Stefan and "macropod" have pointed out, you can't avoid the paragraph
after the table, but the reason the table is breaking (as opposed to just
having a "blank" page for the empty paragraph) is likely that the last row
of the table is formatted as "Keep with next."

http://word.mvps.org