Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Irisheyes Irisheyes is offline

Default Hiding Table Borders When Printing

Is it possible to print Word tables without having the table borders show up
on the printed page.

I have 6 tables on an A4 page with each table separated with a line border
which I would prefer not to show the printed copy. Can anyone tell me how to
do this?

I am using Word 2007 on Vista
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Hiding Table Borders When Printing

Yes, it is possible to print Word tables without having the table borders show up on the printed page. Here's how you can do it in Word 2007 on Vista:
  1. Select the table or tables that you want to print without borders.
  2. Click on the "Design" tab in the ribbon.
  3. In the "Table Styles" group, click on the "Borders" drop-down menu.
  4. Select "No Border" from the list of options.
  5. The table borders should now be hidden in the document view.
  6. To check how the table will look when printed, click on the "Office Button" in the top left corner of the screen.
  7. Select "Print" from the menu.
  8. In the "Print" dialog box, click on the "Preview" button to see how the table will look when printed.
  9. If you're happy with the preview, click on the "Print" button to print the document without the table borders.

That's it! Your tables should now print without the borders showing up on the printed page.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Don't apply borders. You can still display table gridlines.

------------------------------

Irisheyes were not smiling with that reply.

Thank you your reply Suzanne but that reply maybe useful if I hadn't already
started my Word document, but the fact being I had finished it and my
colleague asked me to remove the borders and after some searching through the
Word program I turned to this discussion group for help.

So with your brief and cold reply I went searching again through the Word
program tonight and found what I was looking for. So for the benefit of those
Word users who may at sometime want to know the route to remove table
borders, here goes.

In Word 2007, select "Page Layout", "Page Background" then "Page Borders"
which opens to "Borders and Shading". Select "Borders" tab and on the left is
a "Setting" list where you can chose your preference of border styles, the
first being "None".

For a display with no borders choose "None" and on the right side of the
page where it reads "apply to" select Table and click OK. The table borders
will disappear from your document.

I'm not sure but this route may apply to earlier versions of Word but I hope
it helps somebody else out there.

Irisheyes are smiling now.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Ctrl+Alt+U will remove borders from a table. Alternatively, select the table
with the table handle and select No Border on the dropdown from the Borders
button in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

Your question suggested that you wanted to use borders in order to be able
to see cell boundaries but didn't want them to print. You didn't ask how to
*remove* borders but how to "hide" them.

http://word.mvps.org

"Irisheyes" wrote in message
news
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Irisheyes Irisheyes is offline

Thanks Suzanne for your knowledgeable reply, so now I have 3 routes to
solving my problem, yours being shorter routes than mine which I have tested
and they work incredibily quick, the Ctrl + Alt + U being the winner.

OK you were right about me stating "Hide" and not "Remove" in my question
but I didn't realise the two differences when wanting to omit the borders for
printing purposes.

Thank you again Suzanne for your time