Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Justlearning Justlearning is offline

Default Tables and Q&A Numbering

I have someone who wants a numbered Q&A dialogue typed into a Word table with
two columns. One column will have the numbers and one column will have the
dialogue.

How can I get the Q&A number section to be in a column separate from the
dialogue?

Example:

Q1: This is the question?
A1: This is the answer.

Q2: Second question asked?
A2: Second question answered.

Right now I'm using two styles to automate the above numbering, but I can't
get the table side working right. Every time I try to add a table the
numbering is inside the cell with the dialogue.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Is there some reason you really need a table? Why not just ordinary numbered
paragraphs with a hanging indent? See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA.htm (Word 2003 and earlier) or
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA2007.htm, as appropriate, for more
on setting up the required styles, to which numbering could easily be added.

http://word.mvps.org

"Justlearning" wrote in message
I have someone who wants a numbered Q&A dialogue typed into a Word table
with
two columns. One column will have the numbers and one column will have
the
dialogue.

How can I get the Q&A number section to be in a column separate from the
dialogue?

Example:

Q1: This is the question?
A1: This is the answer.

Q2: Second question asked?
A2: Second question answered.

Right now I'm using two styles to automate the above numbering, but I
can't
get the table side working right. Every time I try to add a table the
numbering is inside the cell with the dialogue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Justlearning Justlearning is offline

Because the client insists on this format. I gave them the ordinary format
and they want the columns.

Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Bummer. Well, the manual way to do this is to place a tab between the
autonumber and the text and then select and convert the lines to a table.
If you used a two level outline/multilevel list linked to paragraph styles,
a search for ^p and replace with ^p^t will place the tab after the autonumber
and before the text. If you used other formatting, let us know.

Pam

Justlearning wrote:
Because the client insists on this format. I gave them the ordinary format
and they want the columns.

Thanks

Is there some reason you really need a table? Why not just ordinary numbered
paragraphs with a hanging indent? See

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]
get the table side working right. Every time I try to add a table the
numbering is inside the cell with the dialogue.

Numbering in Tables--Down then Across Brian Smith Tables 4 February 9th 09 06:13 AM
Numbering Tables PJY Microsoft Word Help 0 December 5th 08 08:42 PM
Numbering Tables Nina Microsoft Word Help 0 December 5th 08 08:31 PM
numbering in tables F Jolivette Tables 1 December 1st 06 07:54 PM
Numbering in tables BarryD Microsoft Word Help 2 September 23rd 06 02:29 PM