Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
bend bend is offline

Default How do I make a table of contents that covers multiple documents?

I'm writing a large project (thesis). For simplicity and memory purposes I
am organizing each chapter as its own word document. Can I make
automatically updating tables, TOC, table of figures, etc. that update from
multiple word documents?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi bend,

There are two ways of doing this:
1. use RD fields in conjunction with a TOC field; or
2. create a TOC in each of the sub-documents, bookmark those TOCs, then use INCLUDETEXT fields pointing to those bookmarks,
in the document in which you want the combined TOC to appear.

See Word's help file for more details.

--
Cheers
macropod