Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jimbeem16 jimbeem16 is offline

Default Mail Merge to multiple docs to save as multiple files

I recently read a post about someone with the same problem...I'm trying to
save my (mail) merged docs to multiple files so that they're not all in one
file. I followed the instructions and the link given by Doug Robbins to a
site by (I believe) Graham Mayor that lists step by step instructions for a
Macro that is supposed to do exactly that. I'm kosher up until the part that
says to merge and you have the option to select 'all', 'current', or
'selected pages'...after this the instructions say the macro should kick in
and another box should pop up asking to 'split to separate files' and this
does not happen. Please help. I don't know how to troubleshoot this sort of
thing or where to go from here. Below is the link to the previously mentioned
site.

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Have you read all of the introductory information on Graham's website,
particulaly Note 2.

Where do you have the template installed?

What is your operating system and what version of Office are you using?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"jimbeem16" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jimbeem16 jimbeem16 is offline

Yes, I've read the information. Since your response I have since reread Note
2 and closed Outlook before opening Word and opened Word from the start menu.
I have the Macro I downloaded saved to the desktop and have to open it
separately. Is this part of the problem? And if so how do I fix that?

By template do you mean the macro or the template I'm trying to split? The
template/doc I'm trying to merge and save to separate files is on our company
server.

I'm using Xp and Office 2003.

My boss has since given me a mandate to have this figured out by Dec 8th.
Thank you for your quick response. Please help again.

"jimbeem16" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word Startup
folder, which for your system will be located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"jimbeem16" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word Startup
folder, which for your system will be located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

Which is in big letters in the first note at the start of the web page, with
instructions, in even more prominent text, how to locate that folder.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kris Beem Kris Beem is offline

Okay, I deleted everything I did previously and reread the instructions and started over. I apologize but the majority of this is over my head so I thank you for your patience ahead of time. I extracted the zip file to the STARTUP folder just as you stated before.

Just to be clear, by doing this does this mean that now the macro should start everytime Word starts? Because I opened it from the start menu and the toolbar is not there.

So I opened the template from the STARTUP folder AFTER opening Word from the start menu and proceeded. Same problem. I add the recipients to my document, hit "split the Merge" and get the 'All, current, selected' box. Selected All...and another window opens with the new document but I still don't get the box asking about separating to different files. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I couldn't find this convo on the Microsoft discussion group. Not sure why but I found it on Egghead Cafe. I hope this still counts as part of your help newsgroups

The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word Startupfolder,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP replied to jimbeem16 on Monday, November 30, 2009 6:40 PM

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word Startupfolder,
30-Nov-09

The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word Startup
folder, which for your system will be located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

Upload Photos to the Web with your SmartPhone
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...o-the-web.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What is the path of the folder to where you saved the .dot file?

If you have installed the add-in in the correct place, all you have to do is
execute the merge to a new document and you will then be asked if you want
to create individual documents.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP replied to jimbeem16 on Monday, November 30, 2009
6:40 PM

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word
Startupfolder,
30-Nov-09

The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word Startup
folder, which for your system will be located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.

Upload Photos to the Web with your SmartPhone
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...o-the-web.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is the *content* of the zip file - in particular the version of the
template for your Word version - that needs to be extracted *from* the zip
file. The zip file alone will not work. *Only install the version required
for your version of Word*.
If the template is correctly installed, when you start Word, you will get a
custom toolbar in Word 2003 and extra commands added to the ribbon in Word
2007. If you don't have those it is not installed correctly and will not
work.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

The template that you downloaded needs to be saved in the Word
Startupfolder, 30-Nov-09