Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HRattner HRattner is offline

Default Categorize merged data from access to word

I need some help. I have an access query that I run that pulls a person's
information and repeats that information in rows for each of their
dependants.
I need to communicate with these persons via email and fax. I would like to
use Word's merge capabilities to do so, but when I build the information into
word, I get a new page for each of the persons dependants. This will cause
them to get several faxes and emails. I want to send them one email/fax that
lists the persons information and then lists their depedant's information.
I'd also like to sort this by their company. So I want to categorize the
email by company name, person, and person's dependants. How do I go about
doing this, and it is even possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

While I would do the whole thing in Access, fellow MVP Macropod has put
together a"Word 97-2007 Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial" that should
show you how to do it with mailmerge. You can download it from:

http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=731107

or

http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip

Do read the tutorial before trying to use the mailmerge document included
with it as you must get the mail merge main document set up exactly as
required.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"HRattner" wrote in message
I need some help. I have an access query that I run that pulls a person's
information and repeats that information in rows for each of their
dependants.
I need to communicate with these persons via email and fax. I would like
use Word's merge capabilities to do so, but when I build the information
into
word, I get a new page for each of the persons dependants. This will
cause
them to get several faxes and emails. I want to send them one email/fax
that
lists the persons information and then lists their depedant's information.
I'd also like to sort this by their company. So I want to categorize the
email by company name, person, and person's dependants. How do I go about
doing this, and it is even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HRattner HRattner is offline

I have gone through the whole tutorial, but for some reason, I can not get
the same results that the tutotirial gets in each scenario. It just repeats
the same row of data rather than moving on to the next record.

"HRattner" wrote in message
I need some help. I have an access query that I run that pulls a person's
information and repeats that information in rows for each of their
dependants.
I need to communicate with these persons via email and fax. I would like
use Word's merge capabilities to do so, but when I build the information
into
word, I get a new page for each of the persons dependants. This will
cause
them to get several faxes and emails. I want to send them one email/fax
that
lists the persons information and then lists their depedant's information.
I'd also like to sort this by their company. So I want to categorize the
email by company name, person, and person's dependants. How do I go about
doing this, and it is even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It is tricky to set up which is why I had said to read the tutorial first
and even then, you must do it exactly as described.

As I had also mentioned, I would do it with a report in access using the
grouping facility with a group header and footer to cover the information
for each person and the detail section of the report for the dependent's
details.

--

"HRattner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HRattner HRattner is offline

Hi -
I tried doing it through an access report then merging to word, but it
doesn't keep the formatting or the pictures, or anything. Just the data. I
have already created a word template that links to the query, but I can't get
the catagory sort to work. Can someone help me get this to work using word?
I know it can be done.

PLEASE????

"HRattner" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you want to send me your template and the Access Query result (as an .xls
file), I will take a look at it for you.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.