Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tansy Diaz Tansy Diaz is offline

Default Cindy Meister's Mail Merge with Charts - Not working?

Ive been trying to create a mail merge with charts and found Cindy's zip file with the sample documents and instructions.

When I run the macro MergeWithChart in the sample document, MailMergePieChartLetter, the resulting merge only merges the first record. There are 9 records in the data document.

I haven't modified the code. I have only taken the documents from the zip file and saved onto my computer. I enabled the macros and have tried to merge just using the macro. When I do that I get an error message that says it has no data source. So then, using the mail merge feature, I associate the sample letter with the sample data doc. Then I use the macro and it runs, but only the first record.

What am I doing wrong? If I can't get the sample to work, I have 0 likelihood to modify for my own purposes. I have never developed my own macro and am not terribly familiar with Visual Basic.

Many thanks for any assistance!

EggheadCafe.com MSInfo C# Webservice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-msinfo-c.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know, but...

Just to clarify, Cindy's macro assumes that your Mail Merge Data Source
has the same number of records as the table in
MailMergePiechartData.doc, i.e. 9 records, and that it has the fields
needed by the letter she has produced. So you can try to you copy/paste
the following data into a .txt file or Word document (and remove any
line breaks that should not be there) and use that as the data source.
At least then we will know we are all using the same example:

EmployeeID,Last_Name,First_Name,Title_Of_Courtesy, Address,City,Region,Postal_Code,Country,Total_Sale s

1,Davolio,Nancy,Ms.,507 - 20th Ave. E. Apt. 2A,Seattle,WA,98122,USA,55014
2,Fuller,Andrew,Dr.,908 W. Capital Way,Tacoma,WA,98401,USA,70665
3,Leverling,Janet,Ms.,722 Moss Bay Blvd.,Kirkland,WA,98033,USA,76383
4,Peacock,Margaret,Mrs.,4110 Old Redmond Rd.,Redmond,WA,98052,USA,52422
5,Buchanan,Steven,Mr.,14 Garrett Hill,London,,SW1 8JR,UK,15695
6,Suyama,Michael,Mr.,10 Miner Rd.,London,,EC2 7JR,UK,10147
7,King,Robert,Mr.,33 Winchester Way,London,,RG1 9SP,UK,50548
8,Callahan,Laura,Ms.,4726 - 11th Ave. N.E.,Seattle,WA,98105,USA,49022
9,Dodsworth,Anne,Ms.,7 Houndstooth Rd.,London,,WG2 7LT,UK,35181

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 15/01/2010 16:41, Tansy Diaz wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tansy Tansy is offline

Peter!

Thank you for your help. It helped me realize that the data source for the
actual form letter is different than the data source called upon by the Macro
to create the pie charts. For some reason, I had it fixed in my mind that
they were the same, but they're not. And if you try to just have the one, for
whatever reason - it wont merge beyond the first entry.

Once I created a different data source for the letter, as you mentioned, I
was all set and it looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thank you again!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

was all set and it looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

Sounds good! I believe Doug Robbins, who posts frequently in this group,
has another approach to the merge/charting problem should Cindy's
approach "run out of steam".

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk