Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_5_] Chad Harris[_5_] is offline

Default Trying to number two sections of doc two different ways

I'm not exactly a new user, but the hassle I'm having trying to do this is
making me think I'm a very new user. I've never tried it before, and I've
hit a wall. It's commonly done in legal briefs, and I'm faced with doing
one.

I'm trying to make a document in Word 2010. I know there are separate
Technet non NNTP forums for the 2010 Beta, but this isn't really a question
that has anything to do with the new 2010.

I have about 12,000 posts to help people with some Office setup problems,
Outlook, and the OS made at Redmond so I understand what a Beta is and that
there are specific newsgroups for specific versions, but this is really a
basic page numbering problem and there isn't a lot of help for this sort of
thing over there, and help in how to do this will bail me out of a jam that
is time critical--in a few hours to be exact.

So....(Please pretend it's Word 2007) if you can help me. Oh yeah, and on
Win 7
but I doubt *that* matters here.

I need to do this, and I know there is an easy way, because documents I'm
looking at as models are doing just that, but all the descriptions and help
on MSFT's Office site for Word are geared to Word 2007 and while what I want
to do may be the same in Word 2007 and Word 2010, I can't get it done and
it's holding up my doc. I would be very appreciative
if someone can help me past this obstacle.

I'm making a document where I'm numbering the first actual 10-15 pages that
aren't the coversheet and a quote I'm putting on the page after the
coversheet with simple i, ii, iii, iv, v... at the bottom center of the
page.

I'm not doing "chapters," but for the next section of about 25 pages that
will be the actual main document, I simply want to change from i, ii, iii,
iv, v to 1, 2, 3.

So in summary I'm simply doing two sections really, and one section to which
I will have to add pages after I know the cases I'm using (it's a legal doc)
will be i, ii, iii, etc. and the second section where I write the actual
paper will be 1, 2, 3.

These are the two page formats in the center of the bottom of the page.

I've tried directions from the Office website and Help and I can't get this
done.

At http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...4861033.aspx#5 there isn't
anything that helps me because I don't see "Page Breaks" anywhere, and
wonder if they are the way to get this two different numbering "systems" or
"formats" on two different sections of my document done.

The link on the Office Website Word section says:

Add section breaks to a document
If your document is not divided into sections, you can insert section breaks
where you want the header or footer to vary.

1.Starting at the beginning of the document, place the cursor at the
beginning of the page where you want to start varying the header or footer.
2.On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Breaks, and then
under Section Breaks, click Next Page.
3.Place the cursor at the beginning of the next page where you want to vary
the header or footer, such as the first page of a new chapter.
4.On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Breaks, and then
under Section Breaks, click Next Page.
5.Repeat steps 3 and 4 for every section break that you want
_________________________________

This doesn't work for me. When you go to Page LayoutPage Setup, there
simply is no tab that has Page Breaks on it. I've tried by going to the
Insert tabPage Headers and Footers and all I can do is either get one
section i, ii, iii, or if I change I get all 1's on the first section where
I want i, ii, iii.

Thanks much for any help. If someone can show me how to number two sections
onei, ii, iii and the second section 1, 2, 3 I will be able to get on with
this
document and very appreciative.

Thanks,

CH

2007 and 2010 are practically
the same for the purposes of this question, unless they have changed some
lables, and from what I can tell they haven't. This is a formatting problem
and not that many people read the 2010 forums and respond that have the
familiarity with page numbering that there is here.

So....(Pretend it's Word 2007) if you can help me. Oh yeah, and on Win 7
but I doubt that matters here.

I need to do this and I know there is an easy way, but all the
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

One the Page Layout tab, use the Breaks pulldown at the top right of the
Page Setup section of the ribbon to insert a Section Break.

Do NOT click on the arrow at the right hand end of the Page Setup border.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.