Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julia Julia is offline

Default Numbering - Restarting numbering under different sections

Hi,

I am new to Word 2007 and am looking for a little be of help. hopefully
someone knows the answer.

I am creating a document with various headings. Having set-up my styles I
have now encoutered a problem. I have various sections and the numbering is
ok for Section A, however, when I reach Section B although the main heading
is ok "2 SECTION B" (the numbering following from the main heading of
SECTION A), the main body numbering follows of from Section A and does not
restart. See example below

At the present the document looks like this:

1 SECTION A
Background Knowledge
1.1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1.2 yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Following On
1.3 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 SECTION B
Background Knowledge
1.4 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1.5 yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Following On
1.6 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

However, under Section B I need to restart the number as follows:

1 SECTION A
Background Knowledge
1.1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1.2 yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Next Steps
1.3 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 SECTION B
Background Knowledge
2.1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2.2 yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Next Steps
2.3 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You must set up the numbering of your sections and subsections as part of
the same multilevel list. For general principles, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. The main
difference in Word 2007 is that you cannot change the numbering directly
from the Style dialog; instead, you must use Define New Multilevel List and
make sure that the levels are linked to the appropriate styles.

Start with the List Library item that shows 1 Heading 1, 1.1 Heading 2, and
so on. In the Define New Multilevel List dialog, change the number style of
Level 1 to A, B, C. In the box that says "Enter formatting for number," type
Section and a space before A.

This will make your Level 2 numbering be A.1. Select Level 2, click More to
expand the dialog, and check the box for "Legal style numbering," which will
change it to 1.1. Do the same for any lower levels you will be using.

If you have not previously used the heading styles for your headings, you
will need to apply them to get this outline numbering. You can modify the
paragraph and font formatting of the styles (aside from any indents, which
must be set in the Multilevel List dialog) in the Modify Style dialog.

http://word.mvps.org