Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gene Hora Gene Hora is offline

Default Saving/transfer of options/dictionary upon re-install

I have Office 2007 Standard installed on my Windows 7 PC and am reinstalling
all my programs on a newer PC. I have made a lot of changes to Word 2007's
dictionary as well as quite a number of the Options (auto-correct) area. Is
there a particular data file in Word 2007 that I can transfer to my new
installation of Office 2007 or must I start all over again?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:28:33 -0700, "Gene Hora"
wrote:

I have Office 2007 Standard installed on my Windows 7 PC and am reinstalling
all my programs on a newer PC. I have made a lot of changes to Word 2007's
dictionary as well as quite a number of the Options (auto-correct) area. Is
there a particular data file in Word 2007 that I can transfer to my new
installation of Office 2007 or must I start all over again?

You'll find the custom dictionary (Custom.dic) in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\UProof, and you can just copy it to the same place
on the new computer. If you find any Exclude*.lex files, you can move
them too.

AutoCorrect entries may be in several files, depending on whether
they're plain-text or formatted, and in what language. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...utocorrect.htm for
explanation. The download on that page doesn't work with Word 2007,
though, so instead use http://jay-freedman.info/AutoCorrect2007.zip. A
much more cumbersome manual procedure is given at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926927.

Are you also asking about all the other options and customizations?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gene Hora Gene Hora is offline

Thank you for the quick and helpful response. ALL the information you gave
is helpful and I've made note of the websites for future reference. For some
reason, I can't access (see) the "appdata" folder in the User section,
although I've opted temporarily to show hidden files. But I used your
"%appdata%\Microsoft\UProof" as a search term and quickly located the custom
dictionary and the Exclude*.lex file. Just what I needed!

Gene Hora

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.