Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default How can I prevent a line break in an ellipse

I am writing an academic paper. The professor insists that there be no line
break in an ellipse, as in "there we went. . . .down the lane.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:05:01 -0700, Chuck
wrote:

I am writing an academic paper. The professor insists that there be no line
break in an ellipse, as in "there we went. . . .down the lane.

By default there is an AutoCorrect entry that will convert three
periods into a single character, Unicode character 2026 (hex). You
shouldn't have to do anything special to get that. If you must put in
that character manually, the default shortcut for it is Ctrl+Alt+.
(that is, hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys while you press the period
key once).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Reportedly some publishers prefer the usual spaced periods to the ellipsis
character. In such instances, you can put nonbreaking spaces
(Ctrl+Shift+Space) between the periods and regular spaces before and after;
this has the advantage of allowing the line to break before or after an
ellipsis, which is not possible with the single character, which is
nonbreaking.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

I am writing an academic paper. The professor insists that there be no
line
break in an ellipse, as in "there we went. . . .down the lane.

By default there is an AutoCorrect entry that will convert three
periods into a single character, Unicode character 2026 (hex). You
shouldn't have to do anything special to get that. If you must put in
that character manually, the default shortcut for it is Ctrl+Alt+.
(that is, hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys while you press the period
key once).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman