Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter[_6_] Peter[_6_] is offline

Default Merge Field Compiler

I want to create a document (an acknowledgment letter) that has a list
of donations at the bottom. Creating a nested if then statement for
one item in the list is tedious but has to be done. The issue is I
may have up to 100 Items in the list. All the items follow the same
display logic as the first statement. The only difference is that the
second item in the list would be noted as GD2, Amt2, and so on.

I want to know if there is a way to compile this outside of word or
copy and edit the code then paste it back in?\

Far stretch but one never knows/

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:
http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Peter" wrote in message
I want to create a document (an acknowledgment letter) that has a list
of donations at the bottom. Creating a nested if then statement for
one item in the list is tedious but has to be done. The issue is I
may have up to 100 Items in the list. All the items follow the same
display logic as the first statement. The only difference is that the
second item in the list would be noted as GD2, Amt2, and so on.

I want to know if there is a way to compile this outside of word or
copy and edit the code then paste it back in?\

Far stretch but one never knows/

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gayle Gayle is offline

Hello Doug - I am working on a similiar problem so I went to the link you
posted and on Graham Mayor's site it mentions that you came up with a pair of
add-ins that will simplify the process. However, when I click on the link it
opens a zip drive with files but I did not see anything that I can download
to my system to help me. Am I missing something?

It took me 3 hours to decipher how to do the Many to One mail merge but I
did finally get it to work. But now my merge has to have the information be
put into a table and there needs to be totals after the information is merged
into the table. Trying to get this to work has really taxed my brain!! I am
trying to follow the information provided in Paul Edstein's 'Catalogue
Mailmerge Tutorial' but I have not been successful.

If there is some type of "add in" that could help me - I would greatly
appreciate being directed to the link that would allow me to down load.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!
gayle

"Peter" wrote in message
I want to create a document (an acknowledgment letter) that has a list
of donations at the bottom. Creating a nested if then statement for
one item in the list is tedious but has to be done. The issue is I
may have up to 100 Items in the list. All the items follow the same
display logic as the first statement. The only difference is that the
second item in the list would be noted as GD2, Amt2, and so on.

I want to know if there is a way to compile this outside of word or
copy and edit the code then paste it back in?\

Far stretch but one never knows/

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word's mail merge was never intended to provide many to one types of merges
and to make it do so is no simple task. The download referred to on the
referenced page of my web site
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/ManyToOneMailMerge.zip contains a pair of Word
add-in templates -

ManyToOneMailMergeRev10.dotm for Word 2007
and
ManyToOneMailMergeRev05.dot for Word 2002/3.

The appropriate file should be saved to the Word startup folder, and their
use is illustrated at http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm.

There are also some example files and data sources in the sub folder of the
zip (only the Pipe Creek samples are suitable for use with Word 2002/3 - but
all of them can be used with Word 2007) which are employed in the tutorials
on my web page - http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm, and are intended to
provide some insight into how the add-in works, before applying it to your
own merge document.

Paul's documents also linked from that page go somewhat farther than the
add-in is capable of, but inevitably the instructions provided are even more
complicated.

news

"Peter" wrote in message
I want to create a document (an acknowledgment letter) that has a list
of donations at the bottom. Creating a nested if then statement for
one item in the list is tedious but has to be done. The issue is I
may have up to 100 Items in the list. All the items follow the same
display logic as the first statement. The only difference is that the
second item in the list would be noted as GD2, Amt2, and so on.

I want to know if there is a way to compile this outside of word or
copy and edit the code then paste it back in?\

Far stretch but one never knows/

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gayle Gayle is offline

Graham - thank you for the additional information - greatly appreciated!

Is there a way to create the merge using the download and then manually add
the instructions/code from Paul's instructions to be able to get the merged
data to subtotal? Or to do that would I need to follow Paul's instructions
from the beginning and not use the Manytoonemailmerge.

Your download gets me halfway to what I need ... just hoping there is way
to do it without having to "code" it all myself.

Thank you for your help!

Gayle

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

news

"Peter" wrote in message
I want to create a document (an acknowledgment letter) that has a list
of donations at the bottom. Creating a nested if then statement for
one item in the list is tedious but has to be done. The issue is I
may have up to 100 Items in the list. All the items follow the same
display logic as the first statement. The only difference is that the
second item in the list would be noted as GD2, Amt2, and so on.

I want to know if there is a way to compile this outside of word or
copy and edit the code then paste it back in?\

Far stretch but one never knows/

Thanks

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Obviously I haven't seen your document, however if we take the example Pipe
Creek sample data source and add another column at the end - let's call it
AMOUNT - then fill the column with suitable amounts. We can add that field
into the example document, in the bottom table, in the cell to the right of
the Property_ID field. Then replace the Thank you statement with a
{=SUM(Above)} field. Use the format painter to paint the additions with the
same format as the Property_ID field.

Now use the the ManyToOne add-in to merge the data, only this time add the
Amount field to the child fields dialog (in addition to the other fields as
described on the web page). When the merge is run, the amounts will be
entered alongside their IDs and the amounts will be totalled in the bottom
cell. If you name the documents by the owner field, the 567 Latigo Rancho
entry has several amounts associated with it.

From this you should be able to see how it could relate to the document you
are creating.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

news