Bedone

Default How do I set up hanging indents?

I need to use "block quotations" in a research paper with ident of a 1/2 inch
from the left margin. How do I format for that?
Jay Freedman

Bedone wrote:
I need to use "block quotations" in a research paper with ident of a
1/2 inch from the left margin. How do I format for that?

The built-in style named Block Text has 1" left and right indents by
default. You can modify that style or create one of your own.

Open the Format Style dialog (or the Styles task pane in Word 2002/2003,
in which you may have to select "All Styles" at the bottom). Select the
Block Text style and click Modify, or else click the New button.

In the Modify Style dialog, check the box for Add To Template. Then click
the Format button and select Paragraph. Set the Left Indent and Right Indent
to the values you want (you didn't say anything about whether the right
indent was needed). Click OK twice to get back to the document. Apply the
style to the paragraph, either before or after typing the text of the quote.

Applying a style like this consistently has the advantage that you can
change the formatting of all the quotes at once if necessary. For instance,
if you want not only the indents but also a smaller font size, or a
different font name, you just modify the style again -- all the quotes will
instantly change the same way.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Bedone

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I t worked like a charm and yes I did need
a right indent also. You the "MVP"!