Bob S

Default Copying macros to new computer

I use MS Office 2003 and have written 3 macros. I have placed 1 of the
macros in a special Global template called Bob-Global. The other two are in
the normal.dot. I just bought a new laptop and want to copy these macros to
the MS Word 2003 instalation on the new laptop. What is the easiest way to
do that?
Thank you.

Pat Garard

G'Day Bob,

Stick the Templates on a Floppy, and copy them
to the new PC.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Bob S" wrote in message
I use MS Office 2003 and have written 3 macros. I have placed 1 of
the macros in a special Global template called Bob-Global. The other
two are in the normal.dot. I just bought a new laptop and want to
copy these macros to the MS Word 2003 instalation on the new laptop.
What is the easiest way to do that?
Thank you.

Larry

To move templates from one computer to another, just telling someone to
copy the templates onto a floppy is not enough. The user would also
need to find out where the templates are stored both on the old and the
new computer in order to replace one set of templates with another

In the old computer, in Word, open Tools, Options, File Locations. The
line that says User templates will show you the address of the Templates
folder, which is where the Normal template is stored. (A Normal
template can be placed anywhere, but the Normal template in the
Templates folder is the one that Word uses by default.) Navigate there,
copy Normal and paste into the same folder and rename the copy something
like Normal 1.dot. Then cut and paste that into a floppy. If your
Bob-Global is not in the Templates folder it's in the StartUp folder.
(Templates in the StartUp folder are used automatically as globals when
Word is started.) Move one folder up from the Templates folder to the
Microsoft Office folder. From there click on the Office folder, and you
will see the StartUp folder. Open that folder, and copy and paste the
global to the floppy.

In the destination computer, locate the Templates folder and move Normal
1.dot to it. Close Word. Don't delete the existing Normal (in case
there are things in it you want to retrieve later) but rename it "Old
Normal" and rename Normal 1 as Normal. Move the global into the StartUp
folder. That's it. Now start Word.

Larry

"Bob S" wrote in message
I use MS Office 2003 and have written 3 macros. I have placed 1 of
the macros in a special Global template called Bob-Global. The
other two are in the normal.dot. I just bought a new laptop and
want to copy these macros to the MS Word 2003 instalation on the
new laptop. What is the easiest way to do that?
Thank you.

Charles Kenyon

Move the macros from your normal.dot to your global template using the vba
editor (Alt F11), then copy the global to your new computer. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Bob S" wrote in message
I use MS Office 2003 and have written 3 macros. I have placed 1 of the
macros in a special Global template called Bob-Global. The other two are
in the normal.dot. I just bought a new laptop and want to copy these
macros to the MS Word 2003 instalation on the new laptop. What is the
easiest way to do that?
Thank you.

Larry

There are two significant drawbacks to putting macros in a global
template. The first is that the Customize Keyboard dialog box will not
show the key assignments or only do so intermittantly. The second is
that the code module of the global template cannot be opened directly.
There are ways of getting around this, but users ought to be told the
drawbacks first.

Larry

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Bob S" wrote in message
I use MS Office 2003 and have written 3 macros. I have placed 1 of

the
macros in a special Global template called Bob-Global. The other two

are
in the normal.dot. I just bought a new laptop and want to copy these
macros to the MS Word 2003 instalation on the new laptop. What is

the
easiest way to do that?
Thank you.

Charles Kenyon

Unlike code in normal.dot or in the document template, that in another
global cannot be edited without the additional (small) step of opening the
global directly for editing. I consider that to be a minor drawback.

I was not aware that keyboard assignments in global templates don't show up
in the customize keyboard dialog. I've never experienced the problem,
probably because I use the shortcut organizer add-in.