Elaine

Default How to I change a read only document to a normal for correcting

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?
HT

Tools, Options, Security

You can remove the "read-only" feature.

"Elaine" wrote in message
I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Save the file to your hard disk. Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
Right click, select Properties, change the attributes.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Elaine" wrote in message
I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Candace Candace is offline

Default How to I change a read only document to a normal for correctin

The "options" under tools is greyed out; I can't select it. Any other ideas?

"Elaine" wrote in message
I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DianeVan DianeVan is offline

It's probably frowned upon, but I just open it, change it as necessary then
save it with another name such as nnn version2.

Diane

"Elaine" wrote in message
I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marge Marge is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marge Marge is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If it was made Read Only, are you sure the sender wanted you to change it.

Did you save it to your local HDD before trying to open it in Word?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"marge" wrote in message

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If it is password protected apply the password. If not copy it to the hard
drive, right click in Windows Explorer, choose 'propertries' and remove the
flag from the read only check box.

marge wrote:
"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I
need to make corrections and change formating. How do I change a
read only file to one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Brian is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Brian is offline

So how did you change to edit? The doc I received is noted as archive, and I
need to change it to edit

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Brian" wrote in message
So how did you change to edit? The doc I received is noted as archive, and
need to change it to edit

"Save As"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Brian is offline

Not sure whether my question got out there. Recieved a file marked archived.
I need to change it to open to edit. any suggestions? Thanks

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Brian" wrote in message
Not sure whether my question got out there. Recieved a file marked
archived.
I need to change it to open to edit. any suggestions? Thanks

Two ways. Either do a "Save As" or save the file to your HDD and remove the
archive attribute....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dora Dora is offline

Thank you so much. I searched and searched until I came across your
suggestion and it worked. Bless you JoAnn. BTW - My middle name is JoAnne
"with the e."

"Elaine" wrote in message
I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You're quite welcome. I'm having a truly rotten day so it's nice to know
I've helped someone. Any chance you want to create a simple Access database
in return for me? ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Elaine" wrote in message
I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mrllcoolj mrllcoolj is offline

HI,

I have also received a read only work report, but when I right click it
(saved on my desk top) it doesn't have a read only flag. I have tried saving
it as a different file name, but it still says the item is locked. Any other
suggestions please?

marge wrote:
"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I
need to make corrections and change formating. How do I change a
read only file to one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That suggests that the user has protected the document. Open a blank Word
document and then use Insert, File and select the 'protected' document. Does
that let you edit it now?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

marge wrote:
"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I
need to make corrections and change formating. How do I change a
read only file to one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hank14 Hank14 is offline

The problem might be inherited permissions from another user. Go to the
Windows Explorer file list, right click, select Properties, the Security tab.
under Group or Users Name box, are one or more 'groups'. Highlight each one
to views the checkboxes assocaited with them. You want the Write checkbox to
be checked on your user name. If its not, checkover all the other users
and if necessary have them access the file through their PC (assuming shared
files, etc) and set your permission to Write, or to Full Control. I am
waiting til next week for a coworker to return to the office so we can try
this, but it looks like it would work. Give it a shot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bride bride is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lbj lbj is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Michael Michael is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Michael Michael is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Laura Laura is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phil Phil is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
HappyP HappyP is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If the document is restricted (by settings in the Restrict Formatting and
Editing task pane in Word 2007 or the Document Protection task pane in Word
2003), you should be able to get rid of the protection by inserting the file
(via the Insert File dialog box) into a new file.

To display the Insert File dialog box:

- In Word 2007, click Insert tab | Object | Text from File.

- In Word 2003, click Insert | File.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"HappyP" wrote in message

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
johnson johnson is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
John John is offline

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Ask the sender to send it without edit protection or to let you have the
password.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"John" wrote in message

"Elaine" wrote:

I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
How can I Unlocking doc in the program? How can I Unlocking doc  in the program? is offline

Question I open even a new doc and I can save it to another folder or name
it tells me that this doc is modified is not allowed and the dco is locked!
So were on this program cand I change this? I cant open or change a thing
on anything?? Thanks for your help Darrel

"Elaine" wrote in message
I received a report over e-mail and it is a read only document. I need to
make corrections and change formating. How do I change a read only file to
one I can work on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

wrote in message
Question I open even a new doc and I can save it to another folder or
name
it tells me that this doc is modified is not allowed and the dco is
locked!
So were on this program cand I change this? I cant open or change a
thing
on anything?? Thanks for your help Darrel

Is this a TRIAL version of Office that has either expired or you haven't
activated?