Tosca

Default Tall narrow letters

Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and have a line of text which I need to print. The overall
length of the line is fine but I need to make the letters a little taller
(by between 30 and 50%). Is this possible? I thought about putting the
text into a text box and stretching it, but it doesn't stretch the letters.
I suspect that I could do it with Word Art but I don't want to use the fonts
there. The font that I must use is AladdinExpanded.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Tall narrow letters

Hi there!

Yes, it is possible to make the letters taller in Word 2003. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Highlight the text that you want to make taller.
  2. Go to the "Format" menu and select "Font".
  3. In the "Font" dialog box, select the "Character Spacing" tab.
  4. In the "Scale" section, increase the percentage in the "Vertical" box to make the letters taller. You can experiment with different percentages until you get the desired height.
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

This method should work with any font, including AladdinExpanded. It's a quick and easy way to adjust the height of your text without having to use Word Art or other special effects.

PHP Code:
// No macro or Visual Basic code found in the text
__________________
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I'd use a graphics program to do it, not a word processing one.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and have a line of text which I need to print. The
overall length of the line is fine but I need to make the letters a little
taller (by between 30 and 50%). Is this possible? I thought about
putting the text into a text box and stretching it, but it doesn't stretch
the letters. I suspect that I could do it with Word Art but I don't want
to use the fonts there. The font that I must use is AladdinExpanded.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

Tosca

Thank you. The font that I'd like to use is the one that I have in Word and
I don't have a graphics program but I'll look into it. I may have to accept
what I have if it can't be done in Word.

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and have a line of text which I need to print. The
overall length of the line is fine but I need to make the letters a
little taller (by between 30 and 50%). Is this possible? I thought
about putting the text into a text box and stretching it, but it doesn't
stretch the letters. I suspect that I could do it with Word Art but I
don't want to use the fonts there. The font that I must use is
AladdinExpanded.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

mr tom

Try this:

Get them normal size, take a screenshot (printscreen) and then paste this
back in. Crop it so you only see your letters, and then strech them.

It's not a neat solution, and depending on the quality of the image, may not
be ideal, but without a graphics package, it's probably the best you'll do.

Tom.

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and have a line of text which I need to print. The
overall length of the line is fine but I need to make the letters a
little taller (by between 30 and 50%). Is this possible? I thought
about putting the text into a text box and stretching it, but it doesn't
stretch the letters. I suspect that I could do it with Word Art but I
don't want to use the fonts there. The font that I must use is
AladdinExpanded.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

On the Character Spacing tab of the Format | Font dialog is a Scale setting.
You need to think laterally to make this work, however, since it doesn't
make letters taller or shorter, only wider or narrower. So you will need to
increase the font size, then decrease the scale to less than 100% (making
the letters narrower).

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and have a line of text which I need to print. The

overall
length of the line is fine but I need to make the letters a little taller
(by between 30 and 50%). Is this possible? I thought about putting the
text into a text box and stretching it, but it doesn't stretch the

letters.
I suspect that I could do it with Word Art but I don't want to use the

fonts
there. The font that I must use is AladdinExpanded.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

Tosca

Suzanne - that's perfect. As you implied, it took a bit of fiddling and
measuring the length of the line against the new one by dragging the right
hand tab setting to the left but I've managed it. Yet another little tip
for my "black book"!

Best wishes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Character Spacing tab of the Format | Font dialog is a Scale
setting.
You need to think laterally to make this work, however, since it doesn't
make letters taller or shorter, only wider or narrower. So you will need
increase the font size, then decrease the scale to less than 100% (making
the letters narrower).

so

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics program.
Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and have a line of text which I need to print. The
overall length of the line is fine but I need to make the letters a
little taller (by between 30 and 50%). Is this possible? I thought
about putting the text into a text box and stretching it, but it doesn't
stretch the letters. I suspect that I could do it with Word Art but I
don't want to use the fonts there. The font that I must use is
AladdinExpanded.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for your time.

Tosca

Hi JoAnn

I've never heard of Picture It! but I've managed to do what I need using
Suzanne's tip which has allowed me to use the font that I need. The problem
about using other software is that the font may not be available.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics
program. Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

BK

Suzanne

All Windows programs, yes, but why not Word Art? Any way to add fonts to
that?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, fonts available in Word will be available in all Windows programs.

so
all may benefit.

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi JoAnn

I've never heard of Picture It! but I've managed to do what I need using
Suzanne's tip which has allowed me to use the font that I need. The

problem
about using other software is that the font may not be available.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics
program. Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Picture It! is the graphics program that comes (or used to) with Works
Suite. Fonts would not have been an issue.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi JoAnn

I've never heard of Picture It! but I've managed to do what I need using
Suzanne's tip which has allowed me to use the font that I need. The
problem about using other software is that the font may not be available.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics
program. Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Jay Freedman

I think Word 95 or 97 was the last release that had a limited set of
fonts for WordArt. All the recent releases will use any installed
TrueType font. There's a font selection dropdown in the Edit WordArt
Text dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi JoAnn

I've never heard of Picture It! but I've managed to do what I need using
Suzanne's tip which has allowed me to use the font that I need. The

problem
about using other software is that the font may not be available.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics
program. Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

BK

That's what I thought. So then why the problem with the original post in
this thread? If the fonts that are available in Word are also available in
Word Art, then Word Art would have been the perfect solution to this issue.
Yes? No?

wrote:

Suzanne

All Windows programs, yes, but why not Word Art? Any way to add fonts to
that?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, fonts available in Word will be available in all Windows programs.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi JoAnn

I've never heard of Picture It! but I've managed to do what I need
using
Suzanne's tip which has allowed me to use the font that I need. The
problem
about using other software is that the font may not be available.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics
program. Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Jay Freedman

I can't speak for Tosca's requirements, but if it's necessary to match
the overall appearance of a regular font except for the letter height,
WordArt can't do it.

For example, try inserting some ordinary text in 24 pt Times New Roman
with no other formatting. Now try to match it with the same phrase in
WordArt, with the same stroke weight, width, and general appearance
but 120% of the height. You'll find that WordArt's "regular" stroke
weight is much heavier, equal to or more than that of TNR's bold face,
and the sharp corners are all rounded off. It barely looks like the
same font.

An added annoyance is that WordArt's sizes are wildly out of line.
Before any adjustments, the WordArt is about 30% wider and *four times
the height* of the regular text it claims as equivalent.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:24:52 -0500, "BK"
wrote:

That's what I thought. So then why the problem with the original post in
this thread? If the fonts that are available in Word are also available in
Word Art, then Word Art would have been the perfect solution to this issue.
Yes? No?

.. .

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi JoAnn

I've never heard of Picture It! but I've managed to do what I need
using
Suzanne's tip which has allowed me to use the font that I need. The
problem
about using other software is that the font may not be available.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics
program. Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

WordArt has used TrueType fonts since Word 6.0, but only TrueType (no
PostScript). Where the real crunch came, though, was in Word 97 (IIRC), when
WordArt became part of Word's drawing tools (rather than a separate applet).
At that point, as JoAnn says, it became virtually impossible to make WordArt
replicate "ordinary" text.

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi JoAnn

I've never heard of Picture It! but I've managed to do what I need

using
Suzanne's tip which has allowed me to use the font that I need. The
problem
about using other software is that the font may not be available.

Thank you for the suggestion.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote in message
I've yet to see a computer that didn't have some sort of a graphics
program. Don't you have Picture It! or something like that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Tosca

Thank you - I'd no idea that was the case! I suspected that they would be
common to the MS Office series but not available to all Windows programs.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, fonts available in Word will be available in all Windows programs.

so

Tosca

Thank you for this information.

If I have access to a second PC, which has a font in this directory which
isn't on my primary PC, can I simply copy the appropriate font from
C:\Windows\Fonts, or isn't it as simple as that?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Fonts are installed in the Windows Fonts folder; they are available to all
Windows programs. Users often ask, "How do I install fonts in Word," but
in
fact you don't install them in Word but in Windows.

so

Jay Freedman

Physically, it is as simple as that. Legally speaking, you may have
bought a license that allows installation only on one PC, but that
differs from one font to another.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:07:53 +0100, "Tosca"
wrote:

Thank you for this information.

If I have access to a second PC, which has a font in this directory which
isn't on my primary PC, can I simply copy the appropriate font from
C:\Windows\Fonts, or isn't it as simple as that?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Fonts are installed in the Windows Fonts folder; they are available to all
Windows programs. Users often ask, "How do I install fonts in Word," but
in
fact you don't install them in Word but in Windows.

so

To add to what Jay has said, some people will tell you that copying the font
file to the Fonts folder is not the same thing as using File | Install New
Font in the Fonts folder, but in fact the effect is exactly the same. The
main difference is that if you use the Install New Font command (a) the
fonts, wherever they may be found, will be listed by font name rather than
just filename (that is, the Fonts folder peeks inside the file to extract
the display name of the font to make it easier for you), and (b) you can
"install" the font without necessarily copying it to the Fonts folder (in
which case there will be just a shortcut to the font in the Fonts folder).
But the font will definitely still be just as available if all you do is
copy it to the Fonts folder.

wrote:

Thank you for this information.

If I have access to a second PC, which has a font in this directory which
isn't on my primary PC, can I simply copy the appropriate font from
C:\Windows\Fonts, or isn't it as simple as that?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Fonts are installed in the Windows Fonts folder; they are available to

all
Windows programs. Users often ask, "How do I install fonts in Word,"

but
in
fact you don't install them in Word but in Windows.

newsgroup
so

JoAnn Paules - MVP Publisher

There was a time when a "little black book" was something other than helpful
computer tips. :-D

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Publisher

"Tosca" wrote:

Suzanne - that's perfect. As you implied, it took a bit of fiddling and
measuring the length of the line against the new one by dragging the right
hand tab setting to the left but I've managed it. Yet another little tip
for my "black book"!

Best wishes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Character Spacing tab of the Format | Font dialog is a Scale
setting.
You need to think laterally to make this work, however, since it doesn't
make letters taller or shorter, only wider or narrower. So you will need
increase the font size, then decrease the scale to less than 100% (making
the letters narrower).

so

Tosca

Nope - it's just a hand-written collection of useful computer tips which
I've picked up from here and there! I'm sure that everyone has something
similar, although they may not have to actually commit the information to
paper.

wrote in message
There was a time when a "little black book" was something other than

helpful
computer tips. :-D

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Publisher

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I no longer have a little black book - I'm married. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]