Tabitha R

Default Printing a To-Scale Ruler in Word

I would like to print a Word doc with a to-scale ruler running down the side.
I've looked all through clip art and can't find anything. I scanned an
image of an actual ruler but after playing with it for endless hours, the
scale is still off.

Any suggestions
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Printing a To-Scale Ruler in Word

Yes, there is a way to print a to-scale ruler in Microsoft Word! Here's how:
  1. Open a new Word document.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Shapes" and select the straight line shape.
  4. Draw a line on your document that is the length you want your ruler to be. You can use the ruler at the top of the screen to make sure it's the right length.
  5. Right-click on the line and select "Format Shape."
  6. In the "Format Shape" pane that appears on the right side of the screen, click on the "Size & Properties" icon (it looks like a box with a ruler in it).
  7. Under "Size," make sure the height of the line is set to 0.25 inches (or whatever height you want your ruler to be).
  8. Under "Properties," change the "Rotation" to 90 degrees.
  9. Click "Close" to close the "Format Shape" pane.
  10. Copy and paste the line down the side of your document to create your ruler.
  11. To make sure it's to scale, print out your document and measure the line with a physical ruler. If it's not the right length, go back to step 6 and adjust the size until it's correct.

That's it! You now have a to-scale ruler in your Word document.
__________________
Tabitha R

Sorry I wasn't more specific:

I am using Word 2003. I used a .jpg of an actual ruler to jimmy-rig
it...stretching, croping, shrinking, etc to get it to scale. I can get it
within 1/16 of an inch. So, from 0 to 1 inch is acually 15/16th long. Not
so bad at the begining, but I am off by entire half inch when I get to 6".

I was hoping there was some function in Word that will print the vertical
ruler on the page (not too dissimilar from Excel printing the row & column
headers). Or, that there was a static image of a ruler someplace that I
could just insert into my document.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Tabitha,

What version of Word are you using, what graphic
type are you using and what printer model?

Is the ruler 'off scale' by a little,
a lot, a specific amount?

==========

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

First of all, if you're trying to print a 12" ruler on 11" paper, you're
doomed to failure from the get-go! Assuming you're printing a shorter ruler
or on longer paper, first make sure that the graphic is text-wrapped
(wrapping is set to other than In Line With Text) so that it's not bound by
the margins. Then go to Format | Picture and, on the Size tab, set the
length of the graphic (assuming it's cropped to the exact length of the
ruler) to 12" (or whatever), making sure that "Lock aspect ratio" is
checked. The width will be adjusted automatically.

If the graphic does not print out exactly right, fiddle with the percentage
scale on the Size tab.