MarieinAnchorage

Default Pages numbers repeat

Hello. In my footer I have page numbers. Page 1 repeats itself, but then
page 2, page 3, etc. are fine. How do I change my footer/page numbers so
that I just have 1, 2, 3, etc. and not 1, 1, 2, 3, etc.? Thank you.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Pages numbers repeat

Hi there! It sounds like you have a section break in your document that is causing the page numbers to repeat. Here's how you can fix it:
  1. Double-click on the footer of the page where the page numbers are repeating.
  2. Click on the "Link to Previous" button in the "Navigation" section of the "Header & Footer Tools" tab. This will unlink the footer from the previous section.
  3. Delete the page number on the first page of the section where the page numbers are repeating.
  4. Click on the "Page Number" button in the "Header & Footer" section of the "Insert" tab.
  5. Select the position and format of the page number that you want to use.
  6. If you want to start the page numbering at a specific number, click on the "Page Number" button again and select "Format Page Numbers."
  7. In the "Page Number Format" dialog box, select "Start at" and enter the number that you want to start with.
  8. Click "OK" to save your changes.

That should fix the problem with the repeating page numbers.
__________________
Jay Freedman

MarieinAnchorage wrote:
Hello. In my footer I have page numbers. Page 1 repeats itself, but
then page 2, page 3, etc. are fine. How do I change my footer/page
numbers so that I just have 1, 2, 3, etc. and not 1, 1, 2, 3, etc.?
Thank you.

You probably have a section break after the first page 1, and the page
numbers restart in the second section. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm for an
explanation of how that's accomplished. You want the opposite.

If you want to keep the section break, put the cursor anywhere in Section 2,
click View Header and Footer, and click the Page Number Format button on
the Header toolbar (the hand pointing to a # sign). In the resulting dialog,
click "Continue from previous section" and OK. Then close the header.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman