Sverre Medalen

Default Use of Character styles

In my document I want to emphasize text for evaluation that other persons
shall find easily. Thereafter I want to be able to easily remove the
emphasize so that the text regains its initial formatting.

To solve this, I've made a style of type Character and changed its colour to
red. I marked som text (in Times New Roman, 10pt, black) with that character
style. The text changed from black to red, while keeping the font-family and
size of the Paragraph style, as expected.
Thereafter I deleted the Character style to see if the marked text regained
its initial format. The text colour went back to black, but the font-family
and size became Arial and 11pt respectively. How can I get Word to give a
text marked with a Character style the style of its Paragraph style when I
delete the Character style?

Regards,
Sverre

Stefan Blom

Are you sure that the underlying paragraph style is correctly formatted?
If so, it should suffice to select the text and press Ctrl+SpaceBar to
reset its font formatting.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sverre Medalen" wrote in message
[...]

Sverre Medalen

Stefan,

Thanks for your quick replay.

I did some more tests. This time I paid more attention to which style the
Character style was applied to. My experience was the following:
- When Character style is applied to a Paragraph style type, removing the
Character style made the text go back to the initial formatting of the
Paragraph style.
- When Character style is applied to text in a table (of the style Table
Grid),
removing the Character style made the text go back to its initial colour,
but
the font-family changed to Arial (from Times New Roman) and text size
changed to 11pt (from 10pt).

Does this make more sence? Should I use another style than Table Grid inside
tables to avoid this problem in tables?

Stefan Blom skrev:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

What happens when you select text of your Table Grid style (to which you
never applied your character style) and press Ctrl-Spacebar?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Stefan Blom skrev:

[...]

Sverre Medalen

Hi Charles,

Selecting a text in a table, having been formatted by a Character style,
after deleting the Character style and pressing Ctrl-Spacebar did not reset
to the initial formatting.

Any idea of why this does not work the same way as for Paragraph style
formatted text outside a table?

Stefan Blom skrev:

[...]

Stefan Blom

I'm not that familiar with table styles, but apparently they pick up
formatting from the Normal style if that style has been modified (see
for example
http://groups.google.se/group/micros...57e89780657952).

What happens if you change the Normal style to the formatting you want
for the table? Does that fix the problem?

Of course, this means that any text currently using Normal would be
formatted in the wrong manner. A workaround for this (in turn) is to
apply a different style, formatted the way you like it.

This is certainly an unintuitive way of doing things, but I guess it
could be worth trying. Do the test on a copy of the document just in
case!

--

Stefan Blom skrev:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

What happens when you select text that has _not_ been formatted using your

Charles Kenyon skrev:

What happens when you select text of your Table Grid style (to which you
never applied your character style) and press Ctrl-Spacebar?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Sverre Medalen" wrote in