bsterling

Default footnote continued message causes line numbers to disappear

I am using a legal pleading template created using the Word 2000 legal
pleading template wizard. When long footnotes break onto another page, the
first page gets a "footnote continued" message. This causes the line numbers
to disappear on the page where the footnote continued message appears. In
other word, I can have pleading line numbers or a footnote continued message,
but not both on the same page. Simply deleting the text of the "footnote
continued" message in the footnote pane in normal view does not resolve the
issue--then I get no message, but still no line numbers. I am guessing there
is some kind of conflict between the footers (from what I understand,the line
numbers are stored as "drawing images" in one of the footer levels), but I
have not idea how to fix it. Thanks.

bsterling

Thanks, Suzanne. I assume that means there is no fix. I will try to
convince my boss (and my secretary) that we do not *have* to have this
message. Now... How do I ditch it without completely rebuilding the legal
template from scratch? Merely hitting reset in the footnote continuation
notice pane does not solve the problem.... It looks like Work still thinks
the notice is there, although there is no text. Thanks again.

"bsterling" wrote in message
[...]

The reason I have studiously avoided the footnote continuation notice for
years is that when I first experimented with it (in Word 97?), I found just
what you are experiencing: even when you decide not to use it, Word
continues to allow space for it (I believe I also discovered that it allowed
space for it on every page, whether needed or not). I never did find a way
to solve the problem other than to start from scratch; I'm sorry to hear
that this bug still exists. I wish I could be more helpful.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ditch the "continued" message. The Footnote Continuation Separator on

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"bsterling" wrote in message
[...]

bsterling

Suzanne,
Thanks again for your help. I am going to rebuild the templates from
scratch without the footnote continuation notice activated. And yes--Word
2000 still puts the space in on every page whether the notice is there or
not... very annoying.