zodiaclady

Default Where can I find linguistic symbols such as "schwa" ?

I need to insert linguistic symbols such as "schwa" (upside-down e) into a
Word document but cannot find them in any of the character sets. Any ideas?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Where can I find linguistic symbols such as "schwa" ?

To insert linguistic symbols such as "schwa" into a Word document, follow these steps:
  1. Open a new Word document and place your cursor where you want to insert the symbol.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Symbol" in the "Symbols" section of the ribbon.
  4. A drop-down menu will appear. Select "More Symbols" at the bottom of the menu.
  5. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Arial Unicode MS" from the "Font" drop-down menu. This font contains a wide range of symbols, including linguistic symbols.
  6. Scroll down the list of symbols until you find the "schwa" symbol (it looks like an upside-down "e"). Click on it to select it.
  7. Click on the "Insert" button to insert the symbol into your document.

Alternatively, you can also use the keyboard shortcut to insert the "schwa" symbol. The shortcut is:
PHP Code:
"Ctrl + Shift + U"
followed by
PHP Code:
"0259"
and then
PHP Code:
"Enter"
. This will insert the "schwa" symbol into your document.
__________________
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:21:02 -0700, "zodiaclady"
wrote:

I need to insert linguistic symbols such as "schwa" (upside-down e) into a
Word document but cannot find them in any of the character sets. Any ideas?

They're in many of the Unicode fonts, such as Times New Roman, Arial,
Lucida Sans Unicode, Palatino, and Tahoma.

Open the Insert Symbol dialog, set the font to the desired one, and
open the Subset dropdown. If you see "IPA Extensions", select that.
The schwa is character 0259, and the others follow that. Some fonts
have more IPA characters than others; Lucida Sans Unicode has far more
than most.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Herb Tyson [MVP]

You'll likely have to buy (download, if you can find one) a specialized
font. If you have the latest version of WordPerfect, the schwa is in the WP
Phonetic set.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"zodiaclady" wrote in message
I need to insert linguistic symbols such as "schwa" (upside-down e) into a
Word document but cannot find them in any of the character sets. Any
ideas?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

I clicked Send before I meant to. A quick Google search on phonetic font
turned up the following link, which appears to have something that might
work, assuming that Jay's findings don't adequate suit your needs:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=FontDownloads

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com