Darren

Default cumulative word count in footer

The university I am at has this obsession with formatting. Anyway they want a
cumulative word count in the footer of our essays but of course all text in
the footer of a given document section is the same.

The lecturer suggests making every page a section before printing out which
I think is messy. I have been printing every page sepately and editting ther
footer .

Anyway does anyone know a way of doing this?

Thanks

Darren
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: cumulative word count in footer

Hi Darren,

I understand your frustration with the formatting requirements of your university. Fortunately, there is a way to add a cumulative word count in the footer of your document without having to create a new section for each page.

Here are the steps to follow:
  1. Open your document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Double-click on the footer area of the page where you want to add the cumulative word count.
  3. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. Click on the "Quick Parts" button in the "Text" group.
  5. Select "Field" from the drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Field" dialog box, select "NumWords" from the list of field names.
  7. Check the box next to "Add to total" to include the word count from previous sections.
  8. Click "OK" to close the dialog box and insert the field code into the footer.
  9. You should now see the word count for the current section in the footer. To update the cumulative word count, simply repeat these steps on each page of your document.
__________________

Darren

I agree on both counts but I have no choice it is a uni requirement. Text
boxes are the best I can do I think..

thanks for the reply

"Darren" wrote in message
The university I am at has this obsession with formatting. Anyway they
want a
cumulative word count in the footer of our essays but of course all text
in
the footer of a given document section is the same.

The lecturer suggests making every page a section before printing out
which
I think is messy. I have been printing every page sepately and editting
ther
footer .

Anyway does anyone know a way of doing this?

Thanks

Darren

Even with a text box, there is no way to get a cumulative word count (at
least not dynamically). You can select all the text up to a given point,
take a word count, and then enter the number into the text box as plain
text, but this will have to be done over and over if you edit the text. I
suggest that you solicit the support of someone in the IT department of the
university to back you up in your assertion that this is an insanely
difficult requirement and a considerable waste of time that should be spent
learning.

"Darren" wrote in message
The university I am at has this obsession with formatting. Anyway they
want a
cumulative word count in the footer of our essays but of course all

text
in
the footer of a given document section is the same.

The lecturer suggests making every page a section before printing out
which
I think is messy. I have been printing every page sepately and

editting
ther
footer .

Anyway does anyone know a way of doing this?

Thanks

Darren

Jezebel

Given that it really can't be done, it *can't* be a uni requirement. Believe
me, I've spent a lot of time with uni documents, and they are never *that*
fussy. They're too busy. You could always quote them Kant's dictum: "should
implies can".

Seriously, ignore the problem (everyone else will).